April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#306388 12/27/12 05:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just got back from a "Mom & Pop" sale- older hunting clothes, ammo, fishing tackle, magazines- besides some NIB .35 Whelan (Remmie) and almost a full of the first series Win AA 28 gauge skeet loads (No 9 shot)- I bought a NRA VG plus Winchester Model 75 (a keeper) and a older Weaver steel 1" scope- no serial number, marked WEAVER KV and inside a stamped border 60-- EL PASO, TEX. USA. PAT'D and inside a circle A-- elevation knob on top, windage on the right side ( 3'o'clock position from TDC) and a third knob, smaller with cap, set for 5X with arrow pointed clockwise, and 3X with the arrow pointed counterclockwise- may hang it on one of the 8 .22LR's I own with Weaver or similar 1" scope rings- the windage and elevation knobs move freely, as does the rear threaded ring- clear as a bell, std fine crosshairs- Have to think it is pre-1964 as there is NO Zip Code for El Paso, TX on it- no serial number, unlike my favorites, the Leupold scopes-- any ideas, lads??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

KV was Weaver's first entry into Variable Scopes around 1958 as I recall. Really was a pain in the butt, you had to take a small screwdriver/blade, and after removing the turret cap for the power adjustment, turn the turret to different power settings. Problem was they were notorious for point of impact changes and you could not sight a rifle in then move the power adjustment up or down, then back to EXACTLY TO THE SAME SETTING, WITHOUT A CHANGE OF IMPACT. HTH

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks my friend-- I am thinking of mounting it on my 12/15 BSA Martini .22LR- with the heavy 29" target barrel- zip recoil, and will most likely leave it at set power setting and dial it in--so I don't see a huge problem with shifting POI-- but time will tell- first rate machining on those older Weaver steel tubed scopes.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Should be fine for that! Congrats on the find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As someone else posted already, the first KV scopes were a bit rough by today's standards.

I have held onto a pair of original el Paso made Weaver scopes for many years now. My original K-4 is still seeing action even today on my "beater" Remington 742 and my old K-3 is going to go atop my 1903a3 and a set of Redfield base ad rings once it's all done. That, or I am going to see if Griffin and Howe will install a side mount for me.

Either way, the old non-sealed Weaver scopes tend to hold their own pretty well.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.