May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mike Harrell, Karl Graebner, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 275 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,713
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#305993 12/24/12 11:33 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have information relating to Shenandoah Gun Shop located in, I believe, Round Hill, VA. I believe the proprietor and chief gun smith was William L. Humphrey; he is credited with stocking some of Townsend Whelen's rifles. Also, one of his stockmakers was Roy Pullen, originally at Westley Richards.

Any input is welcome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Humphrey must have been there before my time. I always thought that he worked out of Parker-Whelen. Shenandoah Guns used a Berryville address and was almost to the river bridge on Route 7. Ben Toxvard was the proprietor in the seventies. I purchased Ben's Parker try gun in the early seventies when he needed a few bucks to pay for a Hardinge lathe that had just been delivered. Ben always told me that the Parker had been owned by his predecessor in the shop, who I assume was Humphrey. The try gun had belonged to Colonel Townsend Whelen as part of the shop equipment at Parker-Whelen. I had been trying to buy the Parker for years. Now I'm beginning to see the connection. I never realized that Humphrey was probably the gunsmith who lived up on the mountain behind the Shenandoah gun shop. The shop gave up gunsmithing after Ben Toxvard died. His son, I assume it was his son, continued some retail trade for a while, but before long, the shop was closed. The building still stands as far as I know, but I don't know what it is used for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Ballard stocked by Humphrey. His work is the equal of any of the "interwar" gunsmiths.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As many years as I knew Ben Toxvard, he never referred to the gunsmith from Parker-Whelen by name. He always referred to him as "the old man on the mountain". By the time I started hanging out at the shop, the old man was no longer at the shop. I got the impression that the old man owned the shop and sold it to Ben when he retired. Ben said he would visit occasionally, but never when I was in the shop. Apparently, according to Ben, the old man brought the Parker to the shop after Parker-Whelen closed. Ben sold many of General Billy Mitchells guns through the shop. I didn't know until years later that the Parkers and other nice guns that passed through the shop belonged to Mitchell. I always got the impression that Ben's stockmaking abilities were a result of working under "the old man".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the book Mister Rifleman, Whelen states that the gunsmith at Parker-Whelen was John Hutton. As I re-read my sources, I am not certain that William Humphrey was associated with Shenandoah Gun Shop at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess we'll wait for more information.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could "the old man on the mountain" have been Roy Pullen? Or could it possibly have been John Hutton?

Last edited by Carpetsahib; 12/28/12 09:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I checked my Humphrey file and have very little to add.

The only address I have seen for him was just Round Hill, VA with an Express address of Purcellville, VA.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Carpetsahib, I only know Pullen and Humphrey by reputation and don't know who the predecessor to Ben Toxvard at Shenandoah Guns was. I guess it was one of them. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Buffum
I have a Ballard stocked by Humphrey. His work is the equal of any of the "interwar" gunsmiths.
Can you post a photo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.