April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TomR Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Over the past several years you guys have been able to shed more than a little light on my buying decisions. Got another one for the experts so here goes.

Have the opportunity to purchase an Ithaca Lewis grade 2, 12 gauge, uncut 26" damascus barrels(measure cyl. and full). Numbers match. Action is tight and seems fully functional. Lever is in the center. Bright bores with only a few minor pits near the muzzle of the right barrel. Stocks (lots of drop) have pretty fair original finish with no major blemishes. Original butt plate is present. Barrels are brown. Lots of small rust spots on the action and barrels that rubbing with a penny seems to remove. The gun weighs only 6 lb 1 oz on a certified scale.(really!). It has not been shot in decades. Price is $325.

Now for the questionable areas.
1. Both chambers measure a full 3" to the forcing cone. ???? Could they be original ???? Safe with RST low pressure shells??

2. Butt stock is only 13 1/2 inches. Does not appear to be cut.
Is hollowed out very professionally. Factory butt plate and
screws present and fit as original. No extra holes. Could
it come from the factory this way??? A slip on pad fixes this.

3. Right barrel has a very acute, small dent(3/16 long, 1/16
wide and about 1/64 deep) 6" from the right muzzle. There
does not appear to be a corresponding protrussion etc on the
interior. It appears to have been that way for a long time.
How big a concern???

4 Could the chokes (cyl. and full) have come from the factory??
Cylinder seems pretty open to me. Never used one.

5. Are all these old Ithaca's as light???

6. Buy it or pass? I know very little about these guns.

I'm not a collector but like to hunt and shoot doubles. I use a few old and newer ones every fall. I enjoy them both. But what I really enjoy is carrying one of vintage and bagging a bunny or a bird with it. Like going back to a better time at least for a few hours.

There's not a lot out there on the older Ithaca's so I'd really appreciate your comments, suggestions, and input. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom R

I know it's not a Parker or a Fox but it sure does bring back memories.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In their day Ithaca side-by-sides sold in the same price range with Parker and Fox at the various model levels. Generally, Ithaca doubles are fine quality American smoothbores. Because Ithaca also made pumps and other less expensive long guns, the Ithaca name does not presently have the cache of those makers who only built doubles. In conclusion, an Ithaca Lewis is a first class piece.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

Question #5--->The Lewis 12 bore I'm currently gathering parts for has 30 inch barrels and weighs a skosh over 8 pounds.

The Lewis must have been a stock inletter's nightmare so baby that wood if you buy it.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Both chambers measure a full 3" to the forcing cone. ???? Could they be original ????"

This is a major concern. Many makers bored 2 5/8" 12g chambers at the turn-of-the-century, Hunter Arms being an exception. Some trap guns had 2 7/8" chambers for the longer shells (more wadding; not more shot) of that era. This appears to be a bird gun however, and Cylinder/Full was a not uncommon combination.
You have no way of knowing what boomers have been put through that gun in the past.

If you don't have a bore scope and a way to measure wall thickness, walk away.

The result of a lengthened chamber (with visible tool marks) and a likely double powder reload

Last edited by Drew Hause; 12/18/12 10:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 2 cents.
1. Possible but not for today's 3 inch shells.
2. Very possible. Ithaca sold guns by the pound so to speak.
3. Probably not a serious issue but have it check by a double gun smith.
4. Very common for this era. Not a bad combo for today IMHO.
5. See #2.
6. That is not a lot of money for a vintage graded gun.
I strongly suggest an inspection by a knowledgeable gunsmith.
If you will pm me the serial number, perhaps I can verify the barrel length.

TomR Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks everyone for all the advice !

Everyone of these vintage guns I get involved with turns out to be a learning experience.

I followed Drew's advice and took barrel thickness measurements at the end of the 3 " chamber depth and at the 2 5/8" point for comparison. At the traditional chamber length(2 5/8") thickness was 0.093" verses 0.084" at the full depth of 3". It's less which would be expected. Will this be dangerous with low pressure shells??

Inside barrel diameter is approx. 0.729-0.730 near the chamber end. The barrels ring clear. Maybe not so many big boomers went thru it??

A good local gunsmith casually examined the gun and he felt it was in great shape especially for its age and said he wouldn't be afraid to use it with low pressure shells.

I think I'm at the point where I may just have to buy it and try it or just walk away. But as Walt suggested it's not a lot of money for a graded gun. Hmmmm??

Any more help out there?

We're going to go chase phesants this afternoon!

TomR

That's pretty neat stuff on damascus you have out there Drew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, tell me where it is so I can buy it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.