May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 251 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,703
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
djama Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

hi

I ask those who have the book ned schwing if they can tell me what year was introduced for the first time the grades diana, pigeon, midas ... it would be really kind of you, I also wanted to know , what Ned said about "twin-single"
thank you in advance

Last edited by djama; 12/10/12 02:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the very beginning, the Superposed was availble in the four grades: Grade I, Pigeon Grade, Diana Grade and Midas Grade, up to WW-II. When production resumed after WW-II, they got the A5s going first. The Superposed Grade I in 12-gauge was reintroduced in 1948. In 1949 the Grade I in 20-gauge was added to the line. In 1950 the better engraved models were added to the offerings in Grades II (similar to pre-War Pigeon), III, IV, and V (Similar to pre-War Diana). In those early post-War years, the 26 1/2 inch barrel guns were called Lightnings, the 28-inch Field and the 30-inch 12-gauges Trap. Also, in a few flyers, the 20-gauge was called Blue-Streak. It wasn't until 1956 that the true Lightnings were again offered. On July 15, 1957, Browning announce the addition of a Grade VI to the offerings at $1000 in standard weight and $1015 in Lightning. In the December 1960 Browning Catalogue they began using the Pigeon, Pointer, Diana and Midas Grade designations, but the guns actually pictured were the old Grades II, III, V and VI. By the December 1961 catalogue the new engraving patterns were accurately pictured.

I don't see that Ned says anything one way or the other about the twin single triggers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now, that's a really good answer. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at my copy and there is a little there. First, Schwing pictures a copy of the 1931 patent for the twin single trigger, and has some discussion of the trials and tribulations that Val Browning and FN went through in working out a trigger mechanism. He characterizes the Twin Single as "...simple yet effective, but not very popular". He references a letter he had from Val Browning that the twin single was an attempt to deal with a desire by American shooters for a pistol grip which did not allow easily moving between two triggers. He indicates the twin single trigger was an additional $20 over standard double triggers, but when the original Lightning was brought out about 1937 as a sort of "economy model" the twin single trigger was standard on it. Finally he indicates that when the design for the second version of the selective single trigger was perfected in the late 1930's the twin single and other triggers (double, single non selective)were all discontinued. He does not say exactly when this occurred, but he seems to say it was at some point before production was halted by the war. (Standard double triggers were always available on guns sold directly by FN outside North America.)
Schwing had access to both FN and Val Browning but treated the early superposed basics pretty lightly. He was clearly more interested in engraving and high grade guns.

djama Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thank you very much for your answers but excuse me to insist, could you tell me the exact date of the introduction of grades according schwing?? is that it is 1931???
THANKS

Sidelock
Sidelock

They were available from the beginning according to the original catalogue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe that double single triggers are not more popular? I have a Spanish gun with them (recoil activated)and it seems like a perfect compromise between double and single triggers. I have heard that they are more complicated and prone to failure, but when I had my action refinished the gunsmith said the mechanism was actually easier to work with than many single triggers.
CHAZ

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.