April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, graybeardtmm3, canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 811 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm researching my great great grandfather's life at the moment, with the possibilities of a book, maybe even documentary (if I can get the finance !).

I read somewhere on here about a Dave Henry in Alberta, who was also a direct descendant - can anyone PM me an email address or anything for him ?

I'm steadily discovering all sorts of things about AH - very interesting. For a flavour, here's a link to a thread on a Martini-Henry forum (not wishing to take people away from this one - just for your interest! - and saving me duplicating all the links etc on here)

There are others on other forums - "direct descendant Alexander Henry" in a search engine will get you there.

Anyway - interested to get some chat from you all. My brother and nephew both own AH shotguns here in Scotland.

Richard
Edinburgh

Alexander Henry Rifle Maker - Donald Dallas
Sidelock
Sidelock

Distinguished ancestor, Richard. A Witten Martini Henry is among my earliest acquisitions -- Lesotho in 1970. Luck finding the finance to complete research and writing.

Regards, Tim

Last edited by Tim Carney; 11/28/12 06:40 PM. Reason: typo
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry - thanks - not really a gun man myself ... What is "Lesotho is 1970"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's an honor to speak to you, albeit in a 21st century way.

Of the esteemed Alex Henry pedigree I presently own a lovely 12 bore blackpowder percussion shotgun as well as a .450 BPE 3 1/4" double rifle.

These weapons are truly magnificent and a joy to own (and shoot).

As I mentioned on this forum last week, the weapons of Alex Henry are rapidly overtaking Westley Richards as my all time favorite gun manufacturer. Believe me, this is high praise indeed.

I wish you every success in your proposed project!

Last edited by Krakow Kid; 11/28/12 05:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know a Dave Henry, but he does not live in Alberta.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gosh, I once read a story by O. Henry. Does he count?

LD1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a number of Alex Henry rifles. I would be glad to help you if you plan on writing a book. I am sure that there are many others on this website who would also offer to assist you.
Alex Henry was a true craftsman in his day and a definitive book on him would be appreciated by many. The knowledge on this website is incredible. If we all pitched in with the bits of knowledge that we have of Alex Henry and his guns a very good book might be written. Maybe a book like the "Rigby A Grand Tradition" could be written since we do not have the mountains of information that was available for the Purdey, Holland & Holland, and Boss volumes. Good luck in your endeavor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom Rowe published Wal Winder's first book in his series of British Single Shot Rifle on Alex Henry about 15 years ago. This entire book was dedicated to single shots and you might want to talk with Tom before you get too involved - he might tell you it never ends! This is what he's determined on many of his books and he has to stop somewhere and publish. Good luck on what you can uncover.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LD1 and Rick W - great offers, and suggestions.

Thing is, I'm inevitably more interested in the man himself, him being an ancestor of mine, and a connection of which in particular my late father was very proud.

I have the Wal Winfer book, and also have seen one of the other ones, where AH is described as "a little man ... whom tragedy seemed to stalk".

This is becoming very clear to me with things which I am finding out about his family, and his business dealings!

Last edited by Richard B; 11/30/12 09:23 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I missed the direct descendant part - my bad. You need to reach out the MLAGB as this group is dedicated to the the ML history of Great Britain. I've always asked these guys why there wasn't more info saved about these men over the years. Seems like a lot of trade info has been lost over the generations. Lynton McKinzie who worked in the trade and moved hear to the USA, wrote in Muzzle Blast magazine about the deplorable conditions these workers worked in as well as their wages.
I guess you know Dickson & McNaughton in Edinburgh have Henry's original ledger.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.