Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gordon swears his Westie Albert helped retreive these ducks in Saskatchewan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive hunted a plantation nearly Albany GA where the owner's Rat Terrier (or maybe Jack Russell) retrieves and flushes.

Mark II #300027 11/10/12 11:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dachshunds are used as hunting dogs in Germany. Their name means "badger dog" and that's what they're intended to go after. One look at one trained for that and it's clear it isn't Aunt Tillie's lapdog.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friend of mine takes his Jack Russell phez hunting. Much to be desired, but he is a help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My german shepard would point and find downed birds.

RHD45 #300049 11/11/12 11:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first German Shepard had wolf introduced into his blood lines. I think he would have ate most of them himself. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the point of all this "dogs will do the unexpected" is that they're all DOGS; that is, one species with a multitude of different looks. Most all dogs will point in the right situation; my first brace of beagles would trail rabbits all day but still stop and point a covey of birds when they came upon one. My wirehair would prefer to 'herd' the cat around the yard a little before she kills it. And the toy house dog will get as protective as a german shepherd when an 'intruder' arrives. Dachshunds will retrieve, I've seen'em do it.

By the way, my wife's shi-tsu didn't fail as a flush dog because he wouldn't flush, it was just that he instinctively backed the wirehair and the pointing lab whenh I tried him out. I wish I had taken a picture of those three "bird-dogs" all lined up on a covey of put out quail.

Whatever sort of dog you take as a friend, don't be surprised at anything it might decide to do...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
My wirehair would prefer to 'herd' the cat around the yard a little before she kills it.

cool cool

One of the best pheasent dogs I've been behind was a 12yr old beagle. A shipmate had a kennel of hounds, and his oldest dogs would come out for to hunt long tails. Old Jake seemed to know when we were bird hunting, and he only chased roosters, he even had a different bay...... Two howls and even an old long tail would put to the air.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt with Setters but have a special place in my heart for a Scot's Terrier, so I would take the little mugs in the cab with me on a hunt occasionally to have someone to keep me company on the long drives to a hunting spot. The problems were that they would light out after the Setters and having short legs were soon winded and I would often have to carry them back to the truck. Then because of their short stature they were shorter then the surrounding grass and could disappear in to the thinnest of cover. I spent a good deal of time hunting for dogs that were with in a 100 ft of the truck.

My Terriers were great for laughs and companionship but definitely not hunters.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.