May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, PALUNC, Jeremy Pearce, old colonel, 1 invisible), 757 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298933 11/02/12 10:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have used Holt's online bidding function, specifically from those of us located in the US. I believe the online bidding service is run through Artfact online auctions. My main questions have to do with the reliability of the connection, and speed/reliability of putting your bids though. Is there a significant delay trying to use this service if you are located in the US? I know Holt's run through their lots very quickly, any significant delay may cause you to miss a bid.

Any experiences you are willing to share, would be most appreciated.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Artfact has worked well for me in the USA. However, with Holt's, I would prefer a phone bid in the stratosphere. My last phone bid in the stratosphere resulted in losing an item to a UK bidder in a higher stratosphere. I still think that's the safest way out.

LD1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Artfact with Holts and it worked very well for me. I had to place 4 bids on a rifle that I won in September. I had no trouble placing very fast bids. The biggest problem with Holts is that it takes them an unreasonable amount of time for them to ship an item to you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not used their online bidding system as yet since a 100% reliable internet connection at your end is an absolute must.

Instead, if I can't be there in person (and nowadays I rarely bother to attend the actual auction - too distressing to see who beats you!), I leave a 'commission' bid.

The advantage of this is that you never bid more than you work out you can afford in the cold light of the viewing day. So far I have never lost a lot that has gone for my bid or less and although a surprising number go for exactly my maximum bid (!) Holts have never let me down on bidding this way.

The few times I have been involved in some way with a telephone bid from the USA, the line has been horrible and I have been terrified of losing the connection or misunderstanding the bidder's wishes.

I know that some US customers have been disatisfied with 'commission' bids but they work for me.
Best of luck (as long as you aren't after the same stuff as me!)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the input everyone. I have used their commission bidding in the past, and have won items using it. There is a gun coming up in the next auction that I have been looking for, for a very long time and will be bidding on.

Like Toby said, it seems like your commission bids always seem to end up at your maximum. This particular gun will most likely go for a very modest amount, and I would hate to place a very large commission bid on it knowing I might be wasting several hundred Ł if they automatically place my maximum commission bid.

Maybe the best plan of attack is to place a modest commission bid, and then try my luck with Artfact, if my maximum commission bid happens to be exceeded.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done commission bidding at Holts, with some success. But I would never bid at Holts unless I had someone there to physically examine whatever before hand. I would suggest using another service to ship and then try to consolidate with others; otherwise the costs get way out of hand. Don't overlook the buyers premium and the exchange rate when figuring your costs, in addition to the other services after the sale. I am pretty sure Holts photoshops almost every photo so what you end up with might be somewhat different than the photo would represent. But I never had a problem with the commission bidding part of it.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used commission bidding at Holts as well and with good results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is a expensive gun that you really want I would suggest getting someone like John Farugia, owner of Cheshire Gun Room, to examine the gun & bid for you. John is present at almost every Holt's auction and is very honest and very knowledgeable. He will collect your gun for you and ship it direct to you, handling all the paperwork.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Flintfan, I am acting in a minor way for Holts out of Spain, there is another chap the Spaniards talk to but I generally get the guns from here to London or that is my remit, I would add that I haven´t yet done anything to help them but I have bid on a couple of things on the phone. You won´t have a problem normally but if you are worried about a line going down then talk to the chap at Holts, Roland is a friend of mine, and give him a number he can be sure of getting you on, best, Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.