May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ted Schefelbein, Bill Davis, bushveld, j7l2, LGF, Lawrence Kotchek), 630 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,629
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298063 10/25/12 12:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hunted in a group of five near Aberdeen SD in Brown County last weekend.

Day one was good with fourteen birds recovered in hand for five hunters. Day two nine Birds, for five hunters and day three with four hunters eight birds.

Locals told us the population was way down from the "good years" but compared to western Kansas the last few years it seemed great to me. The farm I hunted was underwater prior to last season, but this year the number of cocks and hens seemed good to me and we moved some birds on every walk. We did not limit everyday because of poor shooting by some and the lack of blockers.

Other hunters we met at local restaurants had similar success.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a good hunting trip to me, I live on the west side and pheasants are very thin in my neck of the hills. Glad to hear you got in to them!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's going on in western Kansas, no birds?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Our annual family hunt west of Armour, SD was much better than last year. Twelve hunters limited out both days on the opening weekend.

Most folks are attributing the better success to all the crops being harvested already due to the drought and the birds being concentrated in the few remaining CRP fields and other grassy areas rather than any increase in bird numbers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All reports I am getting from friends out western Kansas is that Pheasant crop is worse than a bad last year. There are some good sub areas but those hot spots are limited

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got back from hunting the first five days of the season. Five of us hunted private ground in the Winner/ Gregory/ Platte area.

Between the five of us we ended up with 40 birds total for the five days out of a possible 75. My impression is the drought has taken it's toll & they had a poor hatch. The grass is really short even in the areas that weren't hayed off or grazed. The best places we found the birds were around the few places that had some water. The area is so dry that in some places the cracks in the soil were wide & deep enough we had concerns for both the dogs & ourselves walking.

With all that said we had a great time. It sure beats working!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted with a group on private land I've hunted steadily for the last 8 years and several times back about 20 yrs ago. The bird population on this particular farm, which isn't managed for birds, was about as poor as it has been in the last few years. About a dozen hunters/blockers managed to take 15 birds in 2 days. I was up in the Huron/Virgil area.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/26/12 09:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our group of 10 hunters limited each of the three days we hunted, south of Pierre, S.D. We hunt on a cattle ranch; only wild birds.

Perhaps fewer birds than recent years, but there were still plenty. Drought impact was obvious, and many ponds were very low.

A few more grouse taken than last year.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Snow was in in Dickinson ND 2 days ago when I was up there.
Went down then to Palco in Ks and had my first ever near miss with the car a huge buck came out 10ft in front crossing and I was doing 55mph, how I missed it I will never know.
Phew
Martin

Last edited by bavarianbrit; 10/26/12 10:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our small group of five pheasant hunters and five bird dogs did well hunting in an area just a few miles South of Hitchcock, SD.

Good bird dogs can make all the difference in pheasant hunting.

We bagged our limit 3 out of the 5 days that we hunted. If we had shot a little better we would have bagged our limit every day.

I had one crippled bird get away every day ! Most of us had one bird get away every day, some crippled some not hit at all.

I shot one roster AFTER one of my friends had already shot this same roster and with a pillow sack full of feathers left behind that roster kept right on going. WILD pheasants are tough to kill. Chips off of a clay target count as a dead bird. 20 feathers blown out of a pheasant just mean shoot again quick !!!!

We drove 5 to 10 deer out of the cattails every day that we hunted. The bucks will wait until you step on them or the dogs bite them before they will flush.

Good Hunting To You All, Jent

Last edited by Jent P Mitchell lll; 10/27/12 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.