May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Bret Adams, canvasback, ClapperZapper), 488 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,437
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Claybird
Mildly off topic, you might try woodcock in Louisiana at the other end of their migration. Try "follow the flight."

I shot woodcock and snipe in LA last year. Great fun, great, great, fun. Completely different landscape and type of fellow hunter, but same great little bird.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I was amazed at how small the North American woodcock are as compared to the European version which is the size of a dove. When I was a boy,in England, I was told by my grandfather never to shoot at a woodcock as a "walking gun" in a formal shoot, as the 'cocks flew a twisty flight at head height and I might shoot someone.
As milord did in the shooting party film. I never did eat woodcock or snipe guts on toast, as some of my social superiors did, but we did hang our pheasants for a couple of weeks. In a cool place!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want to check in with Dig Hadoke, as he organizes woodcock shoots apparently (unless he is off in the Dark Continent in search of adventure).

Woodcock Weekends

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
You might want to check in with Dig Hadoke, as he organizes woodcock shoots apparently

I reckon he does this through Kyri, who I talked with. FYI - Dig's on his way to America - Republic of Texas - to be exact. He's coming for the grand opening of Joseph's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a days Woodcock shooting available in Oakhampton Devon on November 14th. There may be a place available for you and a lift from Manchester area. If it is of any interest to you please PM me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I am a limey over on business till December.
Where and what is this Josephs? I might have some free time.
Regards
Martin

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bavarianbrit
Well I am a limey over on business till December.
Where and what is this Josephs? I might have some free time.
Regards Martin

From Dig's website: Opening of Vintage Guns shop in partnership with Josephs of Richmond Texas 0n October 20. We will be there with a host of notable personalities from the British shooting fraternity to celebrate the opening of Josephs. Already confirmed are Cyril Adams, Diggory Hadoke, Graham Greener, Mark Kyriacou and Vic Venters. The event will double as a launch party for Digs new book The British Boxlock Gun & Rifle. Copies signed by the author with personal dedications will be available on the day, as will copies of Vintage Guns for the Modern Shot and all Vics titles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, yes there is walked up woodcock shooting here in 'Limey Land' but it requires information from someone in the know with permission to shoot on the land. I used to have access to some excellent shooting in the Goyt Valley in north Derbyshire, which is in sight of Manchester, until someone waved some pound notes in front of the Farmer's nose which was more than I was prepared to pay. Plenty of snipe, woodcock and hill partridge (grey partridge but a faster and leaner breed). Shame as that would have been ideal.

They do breed here in certain areas; north Derbyshire being one such, but the majority come in as continental migrants in late October on the full moon. It's a chancy business as they can be here today and gone tomorrow. They feed at night so are put up from under bushes where they are resting up. Needs a dog really to nose them out. On driven shoots sometimes quite a few come out and sometimes none. I rarely bother to raise the gun to them on driven shoots as then they are then often rather easy; the best system is to walk them up with a dog which requires quick snap shooting. Good luck in your search. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is true, we Brits have much larger cocks than you Yanks.

If you are here in November, give me a call - I may well be able to drag you around with a spaniel in search of some birds. I'll be pleased to lend you whatever kind of gun you like - as long as it is English and the barrels correctly configured.

It very much depends on the weather - if it is not cold in northern Europe, we won't have any numbers of birds to shoot. If it IS cold there, we will.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Smallbore, it should of course be a Cocker Spaniel; as the name suggests, that's what they were bred for. Good for you for coming up with a solution. Good luck. Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.