May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, canvasback, cpa, skeettx, MD2), 801 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "greased ammunition" issue arose as a result of the "tin can" bullets issued at an early stage in the development of bullet jackets. The material used had the reputation of creating serious metal fouling. The solution to the problem was to lubricate the bullets in loaded ammunition with commercial lubricants, which inevitably found their way onto the mouth and even the body of the cartridge case. This caused two different problems, both potentially serious.

First, coating a cartridge neck with an incompressable substance inhibits the expansion of the neck when the cartridge is fired, duplicating, in effect the problem caused by firing an oversized bullet.

Secondly, lubricating the case body interferes with the ability of the case to obturate and adhere to the chamber walls, resulting in a percussive blow to the bolt when the case if first pushed forward by the firing pin blow and then slammed back against the bolt, when the case fails to cling to the chamber walls. Either could cause a destructive event.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All,

Please send photos of high grade, known makers of low number springfield to me ASAP. I have the greatest concern for your safety and well being. These must be taken off the streets and stored at my home as soon as is possible.

Gary Duffey

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot these low numbered 03's for many years with no concern as long as headspace and ammo are correct. I even buy WW2 surplus corrosive cheap to shoot in the two I now shoot regularly. I am partial to Denver '43 good stuff. Had a couple of Sedgley's same story never a problem. Everyone should decide themselves. If you are afraid to shoot some nice Military rifles I would be interested to buy them cheap;

Last edited by gbehrman; 09/13/12 06:58 PM. Reason: add info

gbehrman
Sidelock
Sidelock

When a cartridge case ruptures in any way, be it a soft case head or splint in the case the gas escapes into the action. When that happens the floorplate is blown out, the stock is split and most likley the extractor is blown off.

The rifle is out of service regardless if it was a low-number or high-number.

If I understand the design of the 1903 correctly it was made to withstand cartridge failure. It very clearly stated that the rifle must pass firing two each of the following defective cartridges when designed.

1.Crossed filled on head to nearly the thickness of the metal.

2.Cut at intervals diagonally through the extractor groove.

3.With four longitudinally cuts the whole length of the cartridge shell from rim forward.

I think that today many people believe that any case failure in a low-numbered action will result in the action breaking. IMO this is just not true.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

90 years of old wive's tales, mis-information, misguided information, and rumors- repeated ad infinitum in the shooting press and most recently on the internet= a lot of misinformed people.

Were/are there rotten eggs in the '03 receiver basket? Sure, just as there were/are rotten eggs amongst pretty much any other group of 100 year old guns. Will I refrain from using one? Nope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
90 years of old wive's tales, mis-information, misguided information, and rumors- repeated ad infinitum in the shooting press and most recently on the internet= a lot of misinformed people.

= a lot of good buys still to be had if in the right place at the right time. Perhaps we should add to and perpetuate the rumors.
Art

Last edited by texraid; 09/14/12 10:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still want to build a copy of an early sporter with the rear sight ring still in place, similar to some of the early Wundhammers, etc., and to do that would require a proper early action, hopefully one with the "curly" numeral characters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you think this guy would lower the price if we told him it was a low-numbered 1903 grin I like this rifle a lot, but suspect it will never leave the pawn shop.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=305336758

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You really have to noodle to try to determine the marketing strategy at play between $19,979.00 and a straight $20 grand???????

The rifle certainly is nice and also very interesting...thou not my cup of tea

Sidelock
Sidelock

"There is a fine patina overall."

For that kind of money I could do with a little less patina! I suppose it could be restored, but the barrel is probably junk given the external appearance. Do we think it is worth even 10% of the asking price?

Last edited by 1878; 09/15/12 04:01 PM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.