April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (fullandfuller, Hammergun, drcook, Argo44, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,223
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

HomelessjOe. That gun is not a Webley screw grip nut action and that make 4 to 1.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, John.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

hello homelessjOe,
i do not wish to kick a man when he is down but i do not see a screw grip or any webley action in the photos provided.i am always willing to learn so please correct and enhance my knowledge.
cheers

mrwmartin.

NA
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
I for one would like to see some good pictures of a Webley Screw Grip compared to the for lack of the correct name "Trade Action w/extensinon & spindle actuated 3rd lock" that Wrights & others used for their heavy proof guns.

Here is a picture posted on the WR Leeson site:

More helpfully, there is a very detailed discussion of the Webely Screw Grip posted on that site: http://wrleeson.co.uk/design.htm
Here is the nub of the discussion:
Quote:
An alternative design to the Greener 'cross bolt' or Westley Richards Dolls Head was the Webley Screw Grip top extension patented by T. W. Webley and T. Brain (P. Webley & Son) under patent No: 3053 in 1882. The design made use of either the more ornate and complex Dolls Head type or a straight or blade type extension. The later dispensed with the Dolls head leaving a simpler straight slot cut in the top edge of the standing breech. Although the blade design would have been less expensive to produce the Dolls head variant seems to have been the preference of W R Leeson.

The design is based on an external screw or thread mounted on the vertical spindle of the top lever inside the standing breech. On the upper part of the spindle, inside the standing breech is also a cam mechanism. When the top lever is operated to open the breech, the screw mechanism rotates inside the spindle assembly and places an upward lifting force on the underside of the top extension. In effect its acts as an assistance to the opening of the breech. When the breech is closed, as the sliding bolts lock into the barrel lumps, the top cam mechanism places a downward force on a stepped lug forming part of top extension. This has the effect of pushing the top extension, whether of the Dolls Head or indeed the Blade Head extension design down into the slot on the upper face of the standing breech. Once home, both the sliding bolts lock into position in the cut outs of the barrel lumps and the third bite mechanism locks home the top extension, ensuring a very strong bolting.

The Webley screw grip satisfies both aspects concerning breech burst and breech/barrel flexing. Barrel flex is overcome when the head itself is located into the slot cut in the standing breech of the action, the barrel being held secure between the fences, as can be seen in the picture above. The second feature is to lock the breech closed in combination with the sliding bolts. This was achieved by a modification to the top lever spindle incorporating a screw thread or cam type mechanism. When the breech was closed the spring mechanism of the top lever ensures the cam exerts downward force on the top extension. The combination of the two design aspects produced an exceptionally strong breech to action joint as well as an aesthetically pleasing feature.

This question was also discussed in some detail here a few years ago:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149435&page=1

I think to answer the question of whether a gun has the Webley Screw Grip, you need to check not only the barrel extension but also the spindle to confirm it has the camming mechanism.

Last edited by Doverham; 09/17/12 12:40 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would someone please explain the difference between a "Webley" screw grip" as made by Webley or Webley & Scott compared to the generic trade gun action w/rib extension & 3rd bite as shown this thread. The only difference I can see is the "Webley Screw Grip" has visable threads on the spindle but I don't think the threads actually engage the rib extension. It looks to me like both actions use the same principal design of the top lever boss or the top of the spindle engaging an angled cut on the rib extension and locking it down. Does the "Webley Screw Grip" move the spindle up & down to engage the rib extension as the top lever is rotated?

I've read several articles re. the "Webley Screw Grip" but all have been vague on how it actually works.

Thanks in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham

The very first picture shows the double stepped lug extension common on the Webley screw grip action....only a lugg head can't see it laugh

The Scott book plainly shows it with and without the dolls head extension...I believe the term "screw grip" means just that, the lever screw turns over the lower part of the lug or grips it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

hello again jOe,
Thanks for the reply.i accept the top extension style shown is often used on webleys but that alone does not prove screw grip.there is no webley horseshoe lever nor webley fences and remain unconvinced of a webley action.also, by the 1950 s webley had moved to the 700 series which did not(to my knowledge) incorporate screw grips.
i do have a thirst for learning re webleys and would be grateful to be given more facts and further education re same.
cheers

mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still not getting my questioned answered so maybe I'm not clear on what I'm asking. I am asking about differences in the rib extension 3rd fastener w/o a dollshead between a Webley made action & those so called trade actions made or used by Wrights, AA Brown & possibly other makers. From what I can see the rib extension/top lever type 3rd fastener as shown in the pictures of the gun Doverham purchased is functionally the same as the 3rd fastener used on a Webley made screw grip action (the top lever or the spindle itself cams down on the rib extension when closed) & we are told this is a AA Brown built gun not a Webley or Webley & Scott. I'm sometimes hearing "Webley Screw Grip" as a generic term for all actions using this type of 3rd fastener system & I want to know what is correct. In Don Masters book
"The House of Churchill" page 281 he is discussing Wright's early post war production & refers to Wright's 4E pigeon gun as built for Thomas Brand &Son having a "straight extension & Boss bite". Pictures of Wright 4EP bbls show the same type rib extension as on Doverham's gun & I've got exactly the same type of rib extension & 3rd bite on a Charles Boswell. I previously reported this gun as being proofed 3 1/4 Ton 1 1/4 oz under the 1954 rules but it is actually 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz under the 1925 rules. Actual maker and date of mfg undetermined.

I realize Webley made guns have some other distinctive features but that is not what I'm talking about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

Thanks for the direction to the WR Leeson site. Best info I've seen on the Webley Screw Grip. I can see the difference in the construction vs. the "trade action" but functionally they appear the same except that the Webley Screw Grip is likely a lot stronger. Guess that's why they built double rifles on those actions & not (that I'm aware) the "trade" actions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
Doverham,

Thanks for the direction to the WR Leeson site.

http://wrleeson.co.uk/design.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and click next page and look at the second picture from the top on the left hand side of the page.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.