Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a concern and I’d like to get a disinterested third party opinion about how to handle the matter.

My wife decided that she wanted to give me a very nice shotgun of my choosing for Christmas and wanted me to select the gun. After much contemplation and research, I decided on the Kimber Valier because it fit me like a glove and is an absolutely beautiful gun. I’ve read the various opinions from the board relating to "Turkish" guns but this puppy is beautifully finished and fitted. Great -- I get prices and a local master Kimber dealer orders the gun for me as it is not a stock item for him.

Now, for the rest of the story. The gun arrives right before Christmas and while inspecting the gun and drooling on it after my wife brings it home, I find that the left ejector does not eject with a snap cap. In addition, the pattern sheet that came with the gun clearly shows one of the patterns is largely off of the pattern page. So, I take this nearly $5,000.00 gun back for return. Mind you, the gun has never been fired. It is as the dealer received it -- new and in the box.

Long story short, Kimber has had the gun in hand since Jan. 10th and, from what I understand, has not looked at it or fixed it. I was promised by a representative that the gun would be looked at, and if it could not be fixed quickly, a new gun would be mailed to me. I continue to wait. Given the choice, I want the gun replaced with a different Valier. Am I wrong to feel this way? You buy a new gun with the belief that it will function well. Believe it or not, I still want the Kimber but I also believe that Kimber should service their customers, particularly if it is their quality control that has caused the problem.

I have been reluctant to comment on an ongoing warranty situation in hopes that the problem would be resolved; but, I am getting no where and I’d like an opinion as to how you would handle this matter. My patience is gone and I would readily love to have my money back, which is sad because this gun has the potential to be a great gun. Please offer feedback and suggestions. I do hope that I can report back to you in the near future that Kimber has fixed the situation to my satisfaction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You say that Kimber has had the gun since January 10, but have you done any follow-up recently? Kimber may have a reason for the delay, for instance, re-regulating the barrels would take some time if they had decided to do warranty repairs. I would check back with the Kimber location to which the gun was sent for evaluation, not the local Kimber dealer.

A question though. You state that one of the patterns is largely off the page. This is not unusual if one is patterning for pattern consistency and density and not for point of impact. When I pattern, I generally do not have a dot or centerpoint on the page, I just fire the instant my gun mounts. I then draw a 30" circle around the most concentration of shot, draw quarters, then count the percentage of shot in each quarter. I could care less if the pattern is not centered.

Kimber may be waiting to pattern the gun, checking for point of impact of each barrel before deciding to either repair or replace.

Give them a call and ask for an update. Kimber has a very good reputation for customer satisfaction.

Last edited by Jim Haynes; 02/12/07 06:07 PM.

Jim Haynes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like Kimber is unclear on the concept of including a 'test target'.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I appreciate the response. Actually my wife insisted on calling the factory rep. today since she is the one who shucked out the money. I found out that the gun was misplaced at the factory on a shelf and has just found its way to the gunsmith. Neither the pattern issue nor the ejector has been looked at but I hope that is changing as we speak. I have dealt with the factory rep. during this whole thing. I have sent many emails and left countless phone messages and in kimbers defense they have continued to communicate with me. I just feel that an unfired gun should be fixed very quickly or a replacement made and that was what was promised. If the gun was misplaced that probably explains the lapse of time involved. I don't intend to bash kimber, I just want the gun that I paid a hefty price for. These guns have caught a lot of flack recently and I dearly hope it is not deserved. I'll be the first to pat Kimber on the back if they handle this properly.

On the plus side, you clearly have a great wife!

DeWayne

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Big 10-4 to that one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming that the POI of one of the barrels is off a considerable amount, I would insist on a replacement gun. Kimber is not going to re-regulate the barrels, by taking them apart and re-regulating, re-soldering, and rebluing. Fixing the problem by removing material from the inside of the choke area would not be acceptable to me, not on a new $5000 gun. Sending it back to the Turkey farm would entail months of waiting. Your wonderful wife didn't pay for a repaired gun and you shouldn't settle for one, either. That's MO. Let us know how it turns out. Why in the world they would include a pattern sheet that clearly shows the POI to be off a bunch is incomprehensible to me!

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's incredible. Like a pistol being delivered with a 'test target' that has no bullet holes.

Shotgunjones, your signature, "One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions", attributed to Wernher von Braun, actually showed up on BLH (Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton of steam locomotive fame) tensile testing machines back in the 20's. Slightly different wording: "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could go back farther than that... von Braun probably plagerized it from the first mechanical engineer... perhaps of 'wheel' fame... It's about time for another quote anyway... I'll look for one..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.