April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, Hugh Lomas, Ken Nelson, Tom Shaffer, Marks_21), 1,036 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,237
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second Phil, however I've found that a 12-18 hour soak will usually do the job just fine.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do as Phil and Steve also. Yes, usually the same 12-18hr. soak. But then I drain off the dirty acetone and re-soak in fresh acetone overnight. I sure have done a bunch of stocks this way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I beleive the pH that the Ammonium Hydroxide (NH4OH) would leave the wood would be undesireable. What makes it work in household use is it's basic supponification abilities which are largely enabled with water. Household stuff is quite weak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi All:

About wood bending with ammonia, I did this in 1965.

This was the first research project that I did as an undergraduate and this is what I found.

I used 28% ammonia fertilizer.

It worked well on all species of wood that I used.

There was no strain on the wood after the ammonia had gassed off from the wood. There was no tendency for the wood to return to its original condition.

I was under the impression that the lignum was softened but not removed from the wood.

I first tried to use liquid ammonia but that is another story! Lol

Finishes could be applied to the wood with no problems.

Some types of adhesives failed while others survived.

I bent the wood in various shapes and made many bow ties and bolo ties for the curious.

I understand the this method never became a commercial success as steam bending seems to be the predominant way to bend wood to this day.

I hope that this helps.

Stay well my friends,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

The industrial strength ammonia, I think it's called anhydrous ammonia, will remove oil. It's the principal agent in oven cleaner.

I used oven cleaner on a military stock that was oil soaked. It leached out the oil, at least most of it, but left the wood in a state I don't think is good for a high grade stock. It was fuzzy and still a little oily.

Anhydrous ammonia is available at your hardware store, but it's nasty stuff and needs to be disposed of properly. It's a good solvent for cleaning guns, but I don't trust it undiluted even on steel.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is turning out to be an interesting thread. Keep 'em coming.

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Duh. The main ingredient in oven cleaner is caustic soda. Chemically, that's sodium hydroxide, and is aka lye. It is way different than anhydrous ammonia which is a gas. Anyhdrous ammonia is not available in hardware stores and is highly regulated in many states of late because it's used in the illicit manufacture of meth. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have posted on this forum several times about my use of household ammonia for stock cleaning. It works great for stocks that are not heavily oil soaked, but even on those, it removes much of the oil and crud. Then when you proceed to acetone or lacquer thinner, you do not contaminate the much more expensive solvents as quickly. I didn't worry about this so much when I was able to buy DuPont lacquer thinner for under a couple bucks per gallon.

As noted above, ammonia will turn the old dirty grease and oil into a soap by a chemical process called saponification. Soap, of course, is water soluble. I have never done long multi-day soaks in ammonia, so I don't know about any serious side effects that might have. All day soaks or repeated scrubbing and rinsing has had no effect. I do rinse very well and allow the wood to dry completely before proceeding to any staining or finishing. I usually use the household ammonia straight, scrubbing with old toothbrushes. Rinse well with hot water and allow to air dry for several days. Works well. With heavily oiled stocks, oil will continue to leach out into the cleaned surface wood, and acetone or other solvents may be required to finish the job. But this continued leaching can also occur when you use volitile solvents only.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Gnomon #287014 07/28/12 04:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Ammonia is a colorless gas. The stuff you buy in the supermarket is amonia gas dissolved in water. Usually with soap in it. Ammonia gas is unpleasant and toxic and indeed is very volatile.

I hadn't heard about using liquid dishwashing detergent (stuff like Dawn) to remove oil from stocks but it is a very good oil solvent. I use a lot of it to clean metal parts. It works well as a pre-wash spot treatment if I get oil on my trousers or shirt.

I recently used Dawn dish detergent to eliminate an oil spill/stain on a concrete driveway parking spot. I just rubbed it on generously and full strength over the whole of the stain, and then let it sit. I came back and did it again a couple more times. By the time of the next rainstorm, the oil stain was gone. I repeated the treatment a couple more times just to make sure any soaked-in oil had been removed.

Beats just about anything I've ever tried for the purpose.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Dawn must be a gun nut. It really is our go-to stuff for just about everything that's gooped up. I think it's great stuff too. I wonder if it works on dishes....

[IMG]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.