April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (buckstix, NCTarheel), 1,018 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,187
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We are well into day four of the Seminar. Day One began with an orientation, shop tour and choosing individual work stations.. the lecture/demonstration for day one was Designing and Developing a Full Scale Rifle Drawing.
In the process of doing the drawing of a single shot Winchester we discussed and studied stock design, architecture, rifle metalwork and furniture. Each phase of the design an each example of hardware studied individually examining as many example as were available. All stock dimensions were evaluated and discussed as they relate to rifle design an body ergonomics.
Drawing in Process

Completed Drawing with examples

Best, Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I attended a similar seminar by Phil Pilkington almost 30 years ago (1983), Steve.

Bravo for putting it on. It's very involved work.

Be they practitioner or aficionado, attendees will gain much.......and value it forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job Steve looks great

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will you do one next year? Who can attend?

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, We just finished up six days and I'm beat...
Will post a couple of pix now and more in the future with great explanation. Looks good for next year, maybe with advanced or expanded format.
The second order of focus was forging, filing, hardening, tempering and sharpening inletting tools.
Robert files a bench made chisel.

Lee filing an inletting scraper.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few more... three students and myself.
Lee Brought a Ruger #1 with a pre-machined walnut stock.

He is using his newly made scraper on the inletting.

Robert scraping the inletting of his Montana bolt rifle stock.

Nick taps home a High Wall fit to a walnut stock.

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GrandView
I attended a similar seminar by Phil Pilkington almost 30 years ago (1983), Steve.

Bravo for putting it on. It's very involved work.

Be they practitioner or aficionado, attendees will gain much.......and value it forever.

That would be the one featured in the Gun Digest Custom Rifles book? A historic event brought to many folks via the book. You were a lucky guy to be there...
I was fortunate to do the first Longrifle Seminar at Western Kentucky back in the 1980s, with Wallace Gusler, Lynton McKenzie, John Bivins and other instructors.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT

That would be the one featured in the Gun Digest Custom Rifles book?

The Pilkington seminar featured in that Custom Guns book was his first, held in 1980.

I attended his 2nd seminar in 1983. Ron Lampert covered metalwork in both.

Pilkington held a 3rd seminar......I believe in 1985. I have not heard or read any review of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work Steve! ... and what a great idea ..

SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple more pix, I've a few hundred from three cameras to sort through. Will post an extensive page on my website over the next few days, for those interested...

Pistol gripping Nick's High Wall Tang

Discussing stock blank quality and layout.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.