May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, Bret Adams, dogon, Drew Hause, Chantry, ClapperZapper), 320 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,414
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, many years ago when I was 14 years old and the UK firearms laws werent daft I went to the post office, paid my 50 pence (75 cents) and got my shotgun licence, I then worked part time at weekends to save up the GBP99 to buy my first shotgun, a Mossberg 8 shot police pump gun (with a 24" barrel) as that was what I could afford. I always had a soft spot for that gun (sold to a dealer in Birmingham as I needed funds for university, I think he gave me GBP50 claiming the barrel was dented). Anyway, last year the late Michael McIntosh estate was auctioned off and I bought his Dads Model 12 (I never owned one before). It got here finally a couple of weeks ago, bore is good, gun is OK for a 1948 model I guess but there is one part I think maybe worn. When loading the magazine there is a "clip" which sticks out a tad to keep the cartridges in the magazine and this tends to slip, i.e. it doesnt always hold the cartridges in. My questions are threefold, is this part called the cartridge cutoff ? does it often wear out and is this likely to be the problem ? and where can I get a new one ? Finally anything else to check ? Thanks in advance, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes thats the cartridge cutoff. I'm not that familiar with the model 12 and I don't know if it wears out frequently.
You should be able to order a replacement at; http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7427

pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I could only own one gun it would be a Model 12. That being said, there are a couple of things you might do before ordering parts;
a) completely disassemble the action, clean everything thoroughly and reassemble. Don't forget the ejector! Also be sure to grub out all the old oil and seeds that get caught and conpressed in the bolt locking notch on the inside top area of the receiver. If the trigger group does not want to come out you may have to loosen the stock slightly. If you have to do this, you may want to remove some of the wood in the half round area of the stock directly behind the trigger group securing screw. This will allow the removal of the trigger group anytime without loosening the stock.

The Model 12 is quite easy to work on, but, years of old oil and seeds and field residue can cause problems after 50 or 60 years. The same goes for the Model 42.

Good Luck and Congratulations on getting the Model 12!

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, get yourself a manual on the Model 12, there are just way too many questions that have to be answered before we can give you sound advice. That being said, if I was to own only one gun whether pistol, rifle or shotgun it would be a Model 12. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen to the last two gents who posted re: "The Perfect repeater" I own 7 at present- mfg. dating from 1921 to 1949, and I shoot all of them that are in 12 gauge (5 including the 3" Heavy Duck) on a regular and steady basis. I would field strip the receiver, removing the bolt- you have to push down the trip and pop out the spring ejector stem from it's notch-- sometimes the cartridge cut-off can get slightly bent-but unlikely, as like all the metal parts of a M12, it is made from forged alloy steel, not cheapo steel stampings and or plastic like the current Remington and Mossberg pump guns are--

clean out all the crud in the receiver with the bolt out, check the extractors- they are NOT interchangeable, and are of a different configuration for your 12 than for the "midget gauge guns"--I would also suggest you remove the magazine entirely, check the spring, clean and also the "thimble" cup that the compressed spring pushes forward (reward toward the receiver on an assembled M12) for grit and or any obstructions-- last check- the take-up notch- make sure the set screw has bottomed in place and is not above the receiver/magazine annular ring-- Good shootin' you'll never wear out a Model 12- nor will your great-grandson either!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 07/10/12 09:13 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for this chaps, any quick idea where I can get a manual for a Model 12 ? I know there is a video on youtube but I would like a manual, thx, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I saw a few on Amazon that are brand new a few months back. There was an original factory manual on Gunbroker a few weeks back, but I doubt that its still there though as it had a ton of bids on it.

But the real story here is that the frickin Model 12 original manual was selling for more money than some of the other manufacturers actual shotguns were selling for.

Model 12s are held in high esteem in this country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, the US Army had a tech manual on the shotguns they used during WW1 that is reproduced in Brownells "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms". Still available for $70.00 or $57.00 for loose leaf. If necessary I can scan the Model 12 section for you, my email is in my profile.

Jim A.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thx Jim, I have taken the barrel and trigger mechanism out already but the video on removing the bolt and the clip that holds it in place was rather vague. I will rewatch the whole thing again tommorow and have another go,
cheers
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does the Gun function OK ?

The reason I ask is that the Model 12 is not supposed to retain the cartridge flush with the magazine tube, you should see a good 1/4 " of the cartridge head protruding from the mag tube.

Last edited by postoak; 07/10/12 06:05 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.