May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, Hammergun, R Reynolds, j7l2, 1 invisible), 875 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,856
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NeilC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

First a short introduction. I am a gunsmithing student at Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC. One of the projects I am working on is a Ansley H Fox CE grade. It does have numerous issues but the one I am working on right now is to repair the ejector guide pins.

When I received the gun, both of the pins were broken off in the monoblock. I successfully removed those. I now need to remove the other side of the pin from the ejector. On this, I have a few questions. I checked to see if the pin goes all the way through the ejector. It does not appear to be the case (to check, I used some cold blue to see if it shows a difference between the pin and ejector). So, if the pin does go in a blind hole, I need to know if it is pressed in, threaded in or installed in some other way. Removing the old pin also i a little more problematic this way as we do not have a small drill chuck for a mill that can clear the shaft of the ejector. Here is a picture to show where the pins are broken of in the ejectors.

One way I can do this is to drill from the other side of the ejector, press fit a new guide pin, weld it in place and dress the ejector down to dimension again.

I did post this on the Fox Collectors forum as well. I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

Neil
Gunsmithing student
http://guns.claasen.us/
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are good with TIG the new pin could be welded in place.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never saw a Fox with a "MonoBlock".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
NeilC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

Yes, you are correct. As I stated, I am still a student and just used the wrong terminology.

Neil
Gunsmithing student
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

It is evident that the requester is a student and instead of an offending type response, would not a response with an instructors attitude be more appropriate. Such as: "Fox gun barrels were assembled with one of the several brazing methods sometimes referred to as dovetail methods. Illustrations of these methods and other can be found in several reference books. However the best is on pages 49-50 in the book "JAGDWAFFENKUNDE" by the master gunmaker Willi Barthold. Although the book is in German (Copywright by VEB Verlag Technik, Berlin, 1969) it is THE reference book for double gunmakers and is considered a masterpiece of reference work.

This book appears on Amazon and other sites from time to time but is quickly snatched up. The best way to procure it Neil, is via internet book purchase from Germany and you will expect to pay about $100.00 "

Best Regards;
Bushveld

Sidelock
Sidelock

NeilC;

Please see your personal e-mail for an explanation that my my close colleague has posted to you on how this is repair is accomplished; whilst it is a the English method of repairing it, I am certain that it is carried out in America similarly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Neil,
I was a machinist and machine shop owner for many years.

Like most problems, there are many ways to approach this. The stem of the extractor is long and prevents you from getting a chuck or the spindle of a mill/drillpress in there.

One approach to consider is to make a drill extension out of a piece of larger diameter round barstock (drillrod is o.d. ground and runs pretty true) like 3/4" or 1" and drill the end for an appropriate diameter for a small piece of carbide blank. I'm guessing but those pins are probably about .070-.080" dia? If so, maybe a 1/16" dia carbide blank would work out for a spade drill. A carbide spade drill is easily hand ground and will cut pretty hard stuff, including broken taps. But you can try a short high speed drill too. The large diameter will reduce the wandering of the drill.

Another way is to Elox (EDM hole drill) the part out. Most cities have some sort of Elox service provided to the auto repair industry to remove broken bolts.

For the replacement, I'd drill all the way thru, put the pin and extractor in place with the pin protruding, TIG it, dress it down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is one guide still on the gun and the gun is an extractor model, why not just go with the one guide? I have a Sterlingworth I've been shooting that way for years...Geo

PS: Niel, I see your gun is an ejectore, so of course you'd need them both.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/09/12 04:10 PM. Reason: added ps
NeilC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you everyone for the help. I think I will be able to get this now. I will report back on the progress.

I am quite happy as the methods that everyone described to me was what I originally had thought of doing. I should have said something to my instructor about it, but that is how we learn. I also wanted to make sure there was not a better way. Of course, my biggest concern was installing the new pins. All the comments I received on the installation was the same, so I will use that method.

BTW, 2-piper, no offense taken.
bushveld, I will try and procure that book! After I buy all the 1911 parts, rifle stocks and other items I need for my course. Luckily, Afrikaans is my first language so the German might not be that great an obstacle.

Again, thank you everyone. I do appreciate the help.

Neil
Gunsmithing student
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neil;
I certainly did not mean my statement in an offencive way. I did realize you had said you were a student, so figured you needed to learn the correct terminology. Would have beeen quite happy to help you see what a monoblock is, but apparently from your responce you already know & just got a little careless.
I too was a machinist (now retired) & I will just echo the great advice Chuck has given you.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.