April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, earlyriser, Dave Weber, canvasback, Borderbill), 451 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24809 02/09/07 06:08 AM
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at a "Fabrique Nationale" 16 gauge sxs yesterday, and am thinking of buying it.
I can find very little information on the gun, can anybody tell me something about it?
It's a 16 gauge SXS with 30" barrels, double triggers, straight grip, weighs 5lbs 15 oz., extractors and fits like it was made for me.
It's very plain, no engraving, blued reciever.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

sxsman1, I tried getting information on a FN sxs here also, couldn't get much. Written on barels Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre, Herstal Belgique. Serial number 6125. Tried looking it up on differnt web sites, no good, even tried to get informatin from the Browning site. The only information I could find is that they make a lot of miltary arms now.
The gun I was looking at was a 12 ga. sidelock, 28 1/2" barrels,(72mm), 65mm ( 2 1/2" chambers) chopper lump barrels, auto ejectors, assisted opening, greenier crossbolt, anson forend release, fit nice, fairly light. In Blue Book of Gun Values no information, tells to go to Browning site for information. Good luck!
Geno, from this site says that the ones he has seen are junk, and to stay away from. It's hard to believe this, this gun was made very nice.
If you get any information, post it please. The one I was looking at is still at Cabelas for $1,000, I know they will take some off.

Last edited by JDW; 02/09/07 08:31 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have one in a 12 ga. just as soon have a Savage or Stevens 311

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well sxsman1, what did I tell you. Can't seem to find anymore out myself. The Browning people don't want to answer back. Still can't believe it is not a good gun, sure looks good. All information of site for them is military, the only shotguns, autos or pumps and made for police and military. Has to be something out there to refer to.

David

They made a pretty good sidelock gun and they are worth about $3k in good shape even the very plain version (and I think most of them were that way).

I have never handled a boxlock but I think it's a typical Belgian working gun. Worth max max $1k

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only one I have seen was fine. A bxlock 12 bore with Greener crossbolt, sideclips, english stock of french walnut and fine workmanship. Just my two cents worth. Better than anything today at 2 thou. Chops

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW,
you were right, I could find very little information on the gun either.
It seems that all the responses say, either that it was junk, or that it is well made. That makes me think that there may be two different versions of the manufacturers gun out there.
I am going to buy the gun I was looking at.
The gun could no way be called a best gun or even a high grade gun, but it is a well made field gun.
Greener cross bolt, side clips, extractors(that I prefer)30" barrels, double triggers, straight grip. and weighs 5lbs. 15 oz.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, Good luck with it and post a picture of it. I also believe that these guns were well made. Why would so many different operations go into making this gun and it not be good.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently more than one version made. Mine does not have side clips and does not use the greener X bolt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thumbing thru my Browning folder file after a recent Superposed buy. Looked into my (photocopy) Inglis Canada "Browning Sporting Arms" catalog that dates 1950?-1956?
The Auto 5 in 12 and 16 gauges ran from $149.50 to (engraved with vent rib) $182.50.
The Superposed (hunting version only)in 12 GA only was $235.00
The High Power Repeating Rifle (commercial Mauser) in .270 and .30-06 was $199.50. "Other calibres such as .257 Roberts --250/3000S, etc., are available to special order".
AND...F.N. Anson Hammerless Shotgun. This is a rather plain looking boxlock SxS in 12 GA - splinter fore-end, English/straight hand, double triggers. Part of the text reads - "Barrels of special high resistance steel, bored to the finest finish. Copper braised barrels with fine engine turned top rib. Built to withstand pressures to 17,000 lbs. per square inch. Chambered for 2-3/4" shells. Stock is of specially selected walnut with grip finely checkered. Metal parts are finely finished with engraving and rosettes around screws, etc. The action is the famous F.N. development. Approved safety free or automatic. - (awkward translation from French, methinks). Weight approximately 6-1/2 lbs. for 30" barrels." End quotes.
Extractor gun is offered with 30" barrel at $240.00.
Ejector gun with 27-1/2" or 30" barrels at $275.00.
Note at the bottom of the page - "Anson double barreled shotguns can be supplied in other bores and barrel lengths to special order." This SxS illustrated with a right side view, and is a poorly reproduced photo or a hand drawing. Can't see if it has a Greener crossbolt and it does not show sideclips.
I expect this will be pretty much the same product as their (F.N.'s) pre-war SxS, most likely with some resumed production cost-cutting involved. Note that this F.N. SxS listed higher than anything else in this pamphlet/catalog.
Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.