April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Researcher, 1 invisible), 433 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,102
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,

Maybe Tilapia in those Teal Ponds? eek

Here are a few interesting 16 gauge guns for sale...

http://www.crosnoeguns.com/product/13364.html

http://www.crosnoeguns.com/product/12373.html

http://www.crosnoeguns.com/product/13297.html

Kittery Trading Post sometimes has some 'sleeper' deals a good sight to watch..

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/new-u...efv1=16%20Gauge

That Matador could be interesting if you don't mind it missing one trigger and a fairly straight stock? They are glad to send pics when you ask.

Last edited by Doug Fore; 09/09/20 03:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that this thread has aged well. 16's have become even more popular since 2012, and I don't see that changing. I've sold all but one of my 12's, in favor of them. There is a subjective magic goldilox quality about them that I've not found in any of the other gauges. Viva la 16!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael... I shoot 12 gauge, put a red shell in the right and a blue in the left and pull both triggers at the same time = purple shoulder.. cry grin

Gil..WOW ..'dream team'

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a beautiful gun, Mark. Are those colors original or restored? Love to see one of those "in the flesh".

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I'd forgotten just how nice the wood on that Ideal turned out.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
MD2 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I sold everything in the safe except three favorite 16ga SxSs. No need or desire for anything else.

Last edited by MD2; 09/10/20 09:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another 16ga enthusiast here. I also love the 16ga shotguns and I have 3 of them. Nothing as beautiful or high-end as the above gun. However, each one is special to me and I enjoy taking them afield or for a round of clays. Maybe the fact I learned shooting my grandfather's old Steven's 16ga SxS make me bias, but I will not let that change at all. BillK

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree the gauge is worthwhile, and perhaps ideal in many ways.

My only specimen is a Sweet Sixteen which is very sweet indeed but it gets little use because I can shoot its twin sister magnum 20 for half the cost using standard 20ga shells which it cycles perfectly.

You cannot tell the difference between those two guns blindfolded unless you cheat and feel up the barrel. I suspect this would be the case with most 2 barrel 16/20 sets or 20/28 sets also. The difference is so insignificant that those who listen to inner logic instead of inner romance select the 20 gauge 'most' of the time.

The 16 would be more popular (as would the 28) if the ammunition companies didn't overcharge us for shells.

I would not pass up a nice double in 16 if it were to find me, but I've never actively looked for one. I feel well served with the 20 gauge.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

That's what I've enjoyed about this board throughout the years, a great cross section of double gun lovers from a beautiful Holland and Holland, Purdey, W. Powell etc. to Stevens, Fulton or JABC, etc.
My first 16 was a Stevens as well, my buddy's an Iver Johnson and CYCLE WORKS (too cool) that we shot doves with in the African Savannah type flora of SW Oklahoma. The incredible wealth of knowledge and acceptance here lead me to delve into damascus guns and even break into a 'high end' gun. It's great to see the incredible pics of all of these guns in action and the stories that go with. It's seems most people here have a respect for whatever your 'bias' or nostalgia may be. At present, I tend to leave the pretty ones at home and find pleasure in hunting with the 'field grade' guns. However, I'm fairly certain that will change as more gray hair and shuffling of the feet comes on. I'm looking forward to turning some of these over to my progeny so that they can carry on these traditions.

Last edited by Doug Fore; 09/10/20 10:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Gil, I'd forgotten just how nice the wood on that Ideal turned out.

indeed....i noticed he was airing out his turnips....

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.