April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (montenegrin, SKB), 811 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,840
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#281807 06/18/12 06:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I shoot low gun trap, because that's how I shoot skeet, and I view it as hunting practice. I'm a decent skeet shooter (avg low 20's), but I'm not a very good trap shooter at all, and I'm wondering if that's why, or would it have more to do with using flat shooting light game guns, and not shooting trap much to learn all the angles, etc. like I've done with skeet. Anyone else in this boat or am I just an odd duck? Go ahead, blast away. eek

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot trap, low gun with a damascus-barreled hammergun and was chewed out by some old farts who said low gun was wrong and Damascus was dangerous. What is it with some trap shooters?

GJZ #281810 06/18/12 07:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot however you enjoy! Most instructors will tell you that "trap" is best shot with a premounted gun to be competitive.I can't recall if I have ever seen a shooter at a major trap event shoot low gun. Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Without watching, my best guess: You are using a flat-shooting game gun. It will work fine for skeet, but will shoot under most trap targets. You'll have to "cover up" the bird with the muzzle of your gun to have success. I know, they say to never take your eye off the bird, but in this case, it's what you'll have to do to break birds regularly.

Like the 28 Ga? Check it out:

28 Ga. Society
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just slide the butt down in my shoulder a bit, 1/2 " or so as to cover up the bird, with my sporting guns. Works for me. I don't like older trapshooters and they don't like me. Some times I'll shoot a round with them, and I use International trap rules, wait for up to 3 seconds before calling for the bird. Upsets their "rythm" Drives them nuts
Ever notice how they molest their guns? Really cruel stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some trap guns are pre-molested too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find that I am leading too much and have to slow down or shorten my reaction/lead time, if that makes any sense. It works for me. Good luck

sweep #281821 06/18/12 08:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

With low gun trap it is no longer a given that the clay is still rising when you shoot. It will depend a lot on how aggressive you are and how quickly you get on the clay. It is very possible to shoot over the clays when shooting low gun trap. It might be something like the second shot on trap doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seemed to work OK for E.D. Fulford, winner of the 1898 GAH at Live Birds using a Remington 1894
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1898/VOL_31_NO_02/SL3102016.pdf

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1898/VOL_30_NO_26/SL3026025.pdf
Utica, N. Y. March 14, 1898. Gun Editor "Sporting Life"

The first requisite for a successful trap shot is a good, level head and the power to govern himself if possessed of a nervous temperament: remembering at all times if one cant control his temper he cant control his gun. I want to see a man call "pull" twenty times, if necessary, when the traps are working badly, with" a smile on his face, and then break the target when it does fly. If a man speaks to you while shooting make the best of it; If a foreign substance or smoke blows into your eye make the best of it; If a target flies out of its natural course, or is not a fair bird, dont shoot; if you do and miss it, offer no excuse whatever, as you will only be laughed at.
A gun with two sets of barrels, both the same length and weight, is to be recommended. Have trap set bored to shoot 70 per -cent, of load in a 30-inch circle, at 40 yards. Have field set with right barrel cylinder and left barrel modified choke. Get a gun with drop and cast-off that fits you, and one that you can hit the objects with. The average man needs about 2 3/4 inches drop at butt, 1 1/2 inches drop at comb, 14 1/4 inches long, full pistol grip, weight 7 1/2 to 8 pounds. The Remington Arms Company without doubt or question produce the best and strongest gun for the money made in the world to-day.
I consider the U. M. C. shell the best. I know nothing about any powder but Schultze and believe it the best nitro powder made. For a target load use 2 3/4 to 3 drams, wadded with a split salmon No. 11 two pink-edge. No. 11 and 1 1/4 ounces No. 7 chilled shot, in 2 3/4 inch Trap or Smokeless case. For live birds use 45 to 50 grains, wadded with one split salmon No. 11. two pink-edge. No. 11, 1 1/4 ounces No. 7 and 1 3 / 16 ounces No. 6 chilled shot, in 2 3/4 inch case. You can make no mistake in using the above loads for trap shooting of the present clay. Always use a wad one size larger than the gauge of your gun: the latter is very important in any gun.
Shot traveling at the rate of 900 feet per second requires one-sixth of a second to go 50 yards, one-eighth of a second to go 40-yards, one-tenth of. a second to go 30 yards, and one-fifteenth of a second to go 20 yards. An object moving at the rate of 30 miles an hour goes 41/2 feet while the shot travels 40 yards: an object moving at the rate of 60 miles an hour goes 9 feet while the shot is traveling 40 yards; an object moving at the rate of 120 miles an hour goes 18 feet while the shot is traveling 40 yards. Therefore, in order to make a junction of your shot and target, you must learn to time the distance, move your gun just as fast as the object no faster and no slower and dont stop the motion of your gun when you pull the trigger.
A great many are of the opinion that each man shoots with a different system, but such is not the case. It may be so with the poorer class of shooters, but with the best shots of America all shoot so near alike, or know where to aim, that there is one grand-standard. It often takes years to find the right place. Different men take different ways, but the result is always the same.
The position of the gun should be a free and easy one, with left arm extended so there is a slight bend at the elbow; the butt should be dropped 2 1/2 inches or more from the face, and never, never hold your gun glued to your shoulder. A beginner should get a pair of shells known as "snaps," which have a spring in the primer hole, and it does not hurt the hammers to snap them. Placing the gun to your shoulder before a (mirror) and snapping at an object, several yards away, the instant it strikes your shoulder is almost as good practice as the real shooting. The novice should study his position, because the centre of gravity has as much to do with good shooting as anything else. Learn to get in the strongest position possible when your gun goes off - not when it starts - and always have a little force in reserve, so when you get a fast quarterer you can push the gun further in front with ease and control its motion.

E.D. Fulford defeated Capt. Jack Brewer "Champion Wing Shot of the World" and "The Best Shot on Live Birds the World Has Ever Known" when they shot three, 100 bird matches at Al Heritage's grounds, Marion, New Jersey in November, 1891 for $3000 a side. Fulford killed 204 birds straight during the match.
Fulford won the re-match January, 1892 at Woodland Park, Long Island for $1,000 a side, killing 100 birds straight to Brewers 99. In preliminary practice and in the match Fulford scored 421 birds straight. After the loss, Brewer declared "I will shoot against any man in the world for the World's Championship Cup which I now hold with $5000 or $10,000 a side, Hurlingham or London Club rules to govern." There is no record that match took place.

Keep at it. I can't shoot a SXS pre-mounted as I only look at the barrels, not the bird frown
Unfortunately back in my trap shooting days, my SBTs were set up 90%/10% so I'm not very good with a 50%/50% SXS

Last edited by Drew Hause; 06/18/12 09:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try putting one of the wrap around padded comb risers that attach with an elastic velcro band on your gun. This will (or should) make you see a good bit of the rib when you mount the gun and your patterns should print slightly high. I never look at the corner or edge of the trap house, but focus 2-3 ft above. Pretend it's a flushing quail or pheasant when you call pull and shoot instinctively. Want to have fun? Have up to a 3 second delay when you call for the bird. Accuriser, I believe, is the name of the attachment.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.