April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#281544 06/15/12 07:58 PM
RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone had any experience with one of these? My son has been looking for one for a couple of years with no success at all.His buddy has a BSA in .243 and Sean would like one in the hornet for informal target shooting with his 12 year old godson.I told him to buy a Ruger but he likes the BSA action and the idea of something"completely different."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a BSA in 30-06. I think it was a Monarch,,was a long time ago. Aluminum floor plate and trigger guard IIRC, so maybe it was a lower priced version.
It took some sort of special scope rings that I never did get.
The bases were made as part of the receiver.

It was heavy compared to the other 30-06 sporters on the used gun racks at the time, the receiver had a lot of bulk to it. But I bought it for the same reason... It was different.
..and had a very smooth action and a decent trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it was basically the same rifle as a Herters U9. You can find them occasionally on GUNBROKER. Good Luck Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well described in the book Bolt Action Rifles by Frank De Haas. The 4th edition is I think the later edition and more complete one.
The hornet and 222 were made in the fifties and are a scaled down version just for these two calibres and had the safety on the bolt and a Mauser type extractor.
If you can find one grab it quick.
I had one of these which I foolishly traded for another rifle which the owner wouldn't part with unless I traded my Hornet. Regards.

WJW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hornet and the .222 were introduced in the Royal Model in an action taylored to the .222 cartridge. Have not seen or heard of a Hornet in the Majestic or the Monarch actions which followed (short action for these was .308 length).

These came in a light weight and standard version - the light weight had an alloy trigger guard and floorplate and some metal removed from the action on the left side between the reciever ring and the rear bridge and has a lighter barrel. The action is the same diameter as the short and standard actions and stiffer than the Sako Vixen.

These actions are different from the later actions and the Herter U-9.

Mine in .222 is a delight to carry and shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an early (1950s) Sako in .222 that my friend only traded to me because he also has the same in a Hornet. I'd keep an eye open for these rifles as well. A bit of ugly duckling, but one of the very most accurate rifles I've owned. About 6 pounds & shoots 5/8" with factory .222!
A Hornet might be nearly impossible to find, Kurt's is the only one I've seen.

RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sean may have to settle for a CZ Fox in Hornet as no one has seemed to have seen a BSA hornet let alone have one for sale.Will pay a finders fee if a BSA hornet could be found for sale.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,
I also have a Sako the same as yours. Mine has a very blonde stock with that cute little cheek piece. My Dad bought it in the early 1950's and I still have it. Can't even bring to remember all the Red Fox it took in the 1950's thru 1970's. Many a dollar was raised selling the pelts. Haven't hunted it much in the last 40 some years but won't part with it for anything.

If you ever want to talk about changing times, I remember taking it to school and putting it in my locker if I was going hunting after schol with friends. In fact I even gave a demonstration speech in english class once on how to sight in a scoped rifle.

Today I don't think you can even mention guns in school.

If anyone ever gets a chance to own one I would recommend the purchase, sweet little rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF, ain't it so...I took a shotgun to speech class for a demonstration speed at Tyler Jr. college. Prof said, "stack it in that corner." Security didn't even ask a question or raise an eyebrow. That was 1973...today...I'd be hog-tied.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, about 4 yrs ago, I took a half dozen custom rifles and muzzleloaders to an evening seminar. Passed them around. No problems.

I should add, the instution was/is Iowa State University. Fairly middlin' to average state university.

Last edited by BrentD; 06/24/12 09:38 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.