April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, ClapperZapper, Lawrence Kotchek, Mark Larson, graybeardtmm3, LeFusil), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All,

When did Griffin & Howe switch to the use of sling swivels on the forearm vs the more tradtional barrel band for slings?

Was there one line of rifle they focussed on for bands vs stock swivels?

Regards...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a bit of information that may help you pin down the date of change. I have a 1922M1 Springfield that was shipped from Springfield Armory to G & H in April 1934. It must have been one of their more basic custom jobs as they used the NRA stock the rifle came in. It does have the barrel band mounted upper sling swivel. It and the rear sling swivel bases are the wide type like are found on the old super grade Winchester Model 70. FWIW

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have seen both setups thus far. My uncle is trying to figure out of his is an original or a redone.

It has the smooth barrel and its a 1903, but, it has the Redfield 70 sight on it and the stock looks right for the NRA. But, it has the barrel band which kind of throws me.

I wish I had taken more photos of the stock and barrel, but, it looked in pretty fine condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I visit Griffin & Howe in Bernardsville frequently and over the years have seen many of their custom rifles. Barrel band sling swivels are typical through the entire production series, including the 1960's, and probably through to the present.

Some G & H custom rifles do have forend mounted sling swivels instead. These are probably due to the specific request of the customer ordering the rifle.

Last edited by vangulil; 05/30/12 11:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tough question, when they started in 1923 the majority of the rifles had a barrel band sling swivel attached to the stock. At the same time there were some with swivels attached to the stock only and later a barrel band swivel ahead of the forend.

I don't know when they started moving it away from the stock but seems any time period I look at I can find several types.

A picture of the rifle in question or the G&H number from the barrel might help.

Very early G&H rifles, most likley before they had numbers.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is accuracy affected by having a barrel band vs a sling swivel on the stock? I imagine it would affect it some, but, maybe not all that much the closer it is to the action.

Out to 100 yards, it probably doesn't affect it much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If a tight sling is used shooting from a sitting position, as recommended by Jack O'Connor, Finn Aagaard, and others, a barrel band mounted swivel is definitely not a good idea.

It does seem to look right on a G&H rifle.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am reminded of the shooting position from the cover of guns of Hemmingway and how he actually had his paw under the barrel and in front of the forend tip.

I might try this arrangement with another 30-06 I own and see now it goes.

Boxlock
Boxlock

this gun number 1503 i thnik was about 1930 has the stock swivel ,,its a great gun built on a sporter star gauge action /barrel but i may have the forend shortened and a griffin side mount added ,,i like barrel band swivels and a short forend so it may happen if i dont sell it beforehand ,,i doubt there is a time period where they were used as ive seen them on early as well as late guns.....paul

Boxlock
Boxlock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.