May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 259 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,702
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bumbellybeak has not said he did not get his money back. If the fellow who was selling was primarily interested in scaming, he would have kept the money and not sent the gun at all.

Sounds like the return privilege worked ok.

Can't figure out how the buyer knew the seller sold the gun to Cabelas later.

If the buyer and seller were in the same state, no need for the FFL.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 04/15/12 06:03 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I read the original post as BBB making the point that he didn't get his money back. If BBB did get his money back then my advice doesn't apply.

I bought a long gun in-state and the seller required it to ship to an FFL. I agree it isn't required but he didn't.

Perhaps BBB lost shipping both ways?

BBB did you get your money back?

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 04/15/12 06:08 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my take on it:
1. If the price seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.
2. Regardless of all the goofing on Cabelas and their skill or lack of it that goes on here, I think a lot of that has to do with less well-known guns. A M21, they can look up in a book to price.
3. Complaining about the seller scamming you and not giving up the name, internet handle, city/state, and other ID info - so we can avoid him - isn't fair to us. We sympathize that you've been scammed, but it's close-to-useless information to us, if we don't know who did it so we can benefit from it.
4. Complaining to the postal inspectors (you did use postal money orders and keep the info and receipt, right?) is an effective way of getting a scammer's attention.
5. Telling the scammer "give me my money back or I'll trash your name (or call the cops)" can, depending on the laws of the various states - they vary widely - be construed as extortion. It's a useful counterclaim for him to file if you do (even more if you don't) sue him.
6. MY take would be to do one of two things if there's more than a twig of distrust between buyer and seller:
a. See if your FFL will hold the gun and then ship it back, and have the money sent by the seller to your FFL. Once the money arrives, the gun goes out. Both a possibly-crooked seller and a possibly-scammed buyer will have to agree no one's going to endanger their FFL by monkeying around when undoing a transaction and they can then undo the trasnsaction on a ground of mutual distrust and a disinterested neutral party undoing it.
b. Alternatively, demand the money back, tell him you will send the gun when the money arrives, and use tracking numbers. If the seller is worth his salt, he would have given a return period as part of the deal - don't deal with one who won't. I won't.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike ,I didnt show up cuz I was at a field trial..cut me some slack willya?

Sidelock
Sidelock

With no more information to chew on than you fellers have, this reminds me of a "murder mystery night" at the restaurant. Have we completely run out of things to talk about double guns? Seems so. You're all being fed a long line. Geeezz.......

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be two sides. I had a guy post a D H E parker he did show some of the problems but failed to tell about pitted barrels he beat me out of about $40 extra postage but I did get my money back.
I am leary of sellers that do not post there name or phone numbers like E-mail me only. I would say I have been lucky so far on this site.
Monty

monty
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave in Maine; you twist my post. It was simple; just wondering if anyone here is keeping count.. Oh, nevermind, you can go read it again if you want to know what it says.
Jeweler, there are always two sides. But this is mine. Saw it advertised here. Emailed & talked with the fella; asked all the right questions; agreed on price & details. He shipped to my FFL. When I went to pick it up, when the FFL unpackaged it, it could be easily seen by anyone's wife or daughter that the description and the item didn't match.
I called him before even picking the thing up. Described what my eyes and the FFL and his wife's eyes saw. He acted shocked that anyone wouldn't like such a pristine condition beauty (his side), versus a well used 30" field or duck gun showing much use (my side).
He told me to ship it back; he would refund my monies. I never even did the paperwork, having the FFL ship it back as it arrived.
From there is was dozens of phone calls to him, dozens and dozens of put offs & excuses why he didn't refund my funds. Most reasons surrounded hard times. We agreed on partial payments over time. That didn't work so well.

A BATF agent, say his name is John, contacted him; had a good talk with him. The guy told the agent he would take the gun to Cabela's, sell it to them and refund my money. Two weeks later, no money.
Daryl, I found out by calling Cabela's myself. Explained the situation the the GR manager; he told me he recently purchased a model 21 from this individual. I described the gun in detail; he agreed I was describing the one he had purchased from this fella.

It's been a couple of years. No, I have not gotten my money back.
There have not been many model 21's listed here if you want to know his name.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bumbellybeak
... He told me to ship it back; he would refund my monies. I never even did the paperwork, having the FFL ship it back as it arrived.
From there is was dozens of phone calls to him, dozens and dozens of put offs & excuses why he didn't refund my funds. Most reasons surrounded hard times. We agreed on partial payments over time. That didn't work so well.

A BATF agent, say his name is John, contacted him; had a good talk with him. The guy told the agent he would take the gun to Cabela's, sell it to them and refund my money. Two weeks later, no money.
Daryl, I found out by calling Cabela's myself. Explained the situation the the GR manager; he told me he recently purchased a model 21 from this individual. I described the gun in detail; he agreed I was describing the one he had purchased from this fella.

It's been a couple of years. No, I have not gotten my money back.
There have not been many model 21's listed here if you want to know his name.

First, #6a I suggested above - have the FFL hold the gun until the funds arrived in his shop, then return the gun, would have been a very appropriate path. Instead, you shipped the gun without getting money in hand.

Second if, as you say, it's been "a couple years" and you've done nothing about it, there's a good chance (depending on the law of the states involved) that you have already blown the statute of limitations and can do nothing at all about it. You also could be what lawyers call "guilty of laches", i.e., you slept on your rights so long that even if the statute of limitations hasn't run out, a court will show you the door anyway. If either of these is the case, you were scammed and then screwed yourself by doing not very much about it. Coming here and complaining isn't very helpful to anyone when things have come to such a point, and you should probably get on with other things.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps this site could address the issue by adopting a transaction grading system along the lines of what GunBroker and Ebay offer. While it won't prevent the first guy from getting ripped off, it might prevent others from falling victim of the same scammer, liar or deadbeat.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a beautiful high condition Model 21 from someone who advertised on this site. The price was $3000, firm and cash. I found it hard to believe no one beat me to it. I guess the price was suspicious.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.