April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Hugh Lomas, 67galaxie, 2 invisible), 939 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AkMike1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Where might it be possible to find scopes with mounts or unfitted mounts for this style of base?

AkMike1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The rear mount would look similar to this at ebay but the front has a sharp angle wedge rather than the claws shown.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-double-claw-mount-dienstglas-sniper-scope-K98-/120892811076?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7655584588183539888

Copy and paste the link.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one front mount upper part spare if interest. Any skilled gunsmith can do those lower fore part and rear upper part.

The mount is in Helsinki, Finland

My mount looks like this:

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFi...nts/5260096.jpg

Last edited by Igorrock; 04/13/12 04:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, that's a new one to me. Looks to be mounted on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer? If so, Please post info to the Mannlicher Collectors Association. Google them up, very helpful people who will appreciate adding this to their store of knowledge. Steve

AkMike1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's what I'm looking for! I'll send a PM Igorrock!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mail sended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
Well, that's a new one to me. Looks to be mounted on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer? If so, Please post info to the Mannlicher Collectors Association.

Steve, no need to contact the Mannlicher Collectors. As a member, I already answered questions on these mounts for them.
The photo mentioned above, posted here again, shows my floor, my rifle and my scopes, a Kahles, Vienna "Mignon 4x" on top and a Kahles "Heliavier 4x" below. The Heliavier sits on top of my M1924 Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 30-06.

Here is another Heliavier on another M1924 "Sequoia" Mannlicher Schoenauer:

and a third one:

Note: though the scopes are the same and all three are mounted with the three-legged snapper mounts on Mannlicher-Schoenauers, all three mounts differ in detail. These mounts were offered pre-WW2 by Steyr as a "factory option", but apparently they were handmade by outworkers/ gunsmithes outside the factory, so nothing is interchangeable. These mounts were all serial numbered to the rifles. Mike, there is no current source for these mounts. All you can do is to scrounge up such mounts and scope at gunshows or on ebay or egun and handfile the missing parts to fit the tops to yor gun bases.

AkMike1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My bases are reversed from the ones shown. The "ears" are at the rear and the wedge is at the front. Will your "ears" end interchange between the different rifles?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AkMike1
My bases are reversed from the ones shown. The "ears" are at the rear and the wedge is at the front. Will your "ears" end interchange between the different rifles?

Apparently your rifle is not a Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but a break-open or falling block or a Mauser one. As I wrote, nothing is really interchangeable on these mounts. And, if you want to change the tops on the scope, even if to slightly different positions: The mounts are usually soldered to the scope tubes, sometimes even brazed, as I found out to my dismay. So you need someone able to completely dis-and reassemble these old scopes first. And, these Vienna Schnppermontagen are not the best mounts anyhow when it comes to stability and durability. Usually, windage adjustment can only be done by hammer and drift punch, slightly moving the base in the desired direction. So a simpler approach is to remove the existing bases, store them for later collector purposes and fit modern bases into the existing cuts.

AkMike1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes this is a break open 7.3X72R Austrian M.Orgis double rifle. I am trying to restore it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.