March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#272640 03/26/12 08:23 AM
nhunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at a vintage Ithaca NID yesterday and when I removed the forend and barrels, the top lever went to the extreme left. I know that the lever on my Ithaca locks to the right when I remove the barrels. When the barrels were on this gun the lever is just to the right. Anything potentially wrong with the gun? Thanks.

nhunter #272646 03/26/12 09:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds as if the catch for holding the lever over isn't working. Could have a missing spring or other parts broken or missing. I had one Ithaca Flues model on which the bbls would be released prior to the bolt latching, so on opening I had to be sure & push the lever to the end of is travel to the right to ensure the lever locked over. There would be no particular hazard to using this gun, except one would have to remember & push over the lever to retract the bolts prior to closing it.
I am not familar enough with all the eraly Ithaca models, pre Flues, as to say if they all had lever latches or not. Some doubles do not, on these the lever will normally be cammed over in closing. If on closing this gun you have to manually push the lever over to close, then it should have the latch.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
nhunter #272650 03/26/12 09:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The NID use a rotary bolt. It is designed to latch the lever to the extreme right upon openning. Closing it on the rotary bolt with a little gusto could damage the bolt since it has a rather small section of the rotary bolt that catches the barrel extension.

nhunter #272652 03/26/12 09:58 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I know very little on Ithaca's, but using the rotary bolt that is used on the L.C. Smith, if the spring loaded detent is pushed down, the top lever will move past center to the left. It will go farther because as Chuck stated, the barrels top rib entension is not there to stop it.

Why the top lever moved to the left upon removing barrels could be that the spring below the detent is broken and not letting the dedent hold it's place on the rotary bolt and to hold the top lever to the right

David

nhunter #272660 03/26/12 10:49 AM
nhunter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have some new information on this Ithaca. I was way off on the year and model. I call the gun ship and the serial # is 206,817, which puts it as a 1911 Flues model I think. In that case, I assume the lever should lock to the right upon removing the barrels? Would this be an expensive fix? Thanks.

nhunter #272672 03/26/12 12:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's a Flues, take the bbls off and look straight down into the action from the top of the breech.

You should see the locking bolt just sticking out if the lever is returned to the center.
Pull the lever over as if opening the gun and just below it you should see a semi-circular disc.
Actually you can see the 'disc' even with the bolt forward.

That semi circular thing is the barrel latch.
The barrel lug hits that upon closing to release the lever from the 'locked to the right' open position.

It is supposed to be spring loaded (small coil spring) so it pops upwards slightly and locks the bolt and the top lever open when the bbls are dropped open.

If the barrel latch is there,,it may be only the small generic coil spring missing. Or it could be there but gummed up or rusted in place and not doing it's job.
Push down on it with a small screwdriver and see if it has spring tension movement up and down. It won't be alot,,perhaps a 1/16",,maybe a little more (so scientific).

Sometimes the small notch in the underside of the bolt itself that it snaps into is worn and it doesn't catch securely to hold things open.

Takeing the bottom plate (trigger plate) off will reveal alot.
The bbl catch and spring if they are there drop right out w/ the bottom plate off. You can also inspect the notch in the bolt, clean it out, lube, ect. But removing the bolt itself to repair it if needed/worn is more involved.

nhunter #272685 03/26/12 03:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its old and there for probobly worn .Almost certainly needs a visit to the "doctor". May be nothing much but without stripping down all else is guess work.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.