Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#271561 03/20/12 12:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh how I wish Tony were not across the pond....

Recently I posted the fact that I purchased the H. Holland hammer gun for a steal. The bbls have been blackened, and I believe they may be a little thin, I would like to have her gone over, and the case freshened back up. I don't want a complete redo, but I would be interested in having it freshened up, and shootable. What would it cost to have a good set of bbls? Proper options? I really would like to shoot the gun, and clean it up some.

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry but this is the only photo I have available right now, I took it with my phone the day I bought the gun. I'm not home right now (working out of town) The serial number is 1684, the gun is number 2 of a pair. I have the original 2 gun case with the makers label intact. From the research I've done, the gun was made prior to the actual company Holland and Holland being formed. Any English gun buffs out there have some info? The gun is lovely, but needs a little TLC. The address on the low game rib is 98 New Bond Street London. <----Recalling from memory.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
I am going to guess this gun to be about 1870 based on the engraving style and hammers. Looks like a nice gun if the barrels check out I don't believe I would do much in the way of refurbishing. Are the barrels damascus?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes I believe they are, but have been blackened, sadly I was only home long enough to buy it! Life is pretty busy this time of year for me. When I get back home I am going strip a little finish from under the forearm (which definately needs replaced) and try to locate some pattern. I will try to post more detailed photos of it as well as English guns are far from my realm. I bought this gun on a whim mostly, but at 800 dollars I think I'll be fine reguardless. I didn't get much of a chance to measure anything properly. Just know the gun feels good and I really want to shoot it!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is (please don't bombard me for asking) anyone in the US monobloc-ing bbls anymore? Frank Lefever and sons used to be the only outlet my dad knew. I could provide donor bbls, and would want it done well. I want this gun to have all its charecter but want to be able to shoot it with proper loads safely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, I have a H. Holland which I bought last year in poor condition and it passed proof last week!

Harris Holland founded the firm and operated as H. Holland until he took in his nephew, Henry.

Measure the barrels before you decide what to do. They may well be fine - no way of guessing, you have to measure them. Your local gun shop can do that for - if not, sent them to me in Texas and I'll be glad to do it for you FOC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
If it comes to sleeving it, there are a number of smiths that do it in the states. Kirk Merrington, Keith Kearcher, and I'm sure a handful of others I don't recall. But it'll cost $1500-2000 with the barrel finishing. Also, you should consider finding some damascus barrels with good wall thickness as donor barrels.

If it currently has adequate wall thickness, before you strip any finish, I would give a mild ferric chloride dip and carding a shot, maybe a few of them. The ferric chloride will tend to strip the finish, but in a controlled manner. You may end up having a nice black/plum and white finish of the damascus with only half the work. Worth a try anyway. Post back on wall thickness when able.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck and Steve:
For a Holland, I would definitely prefer Kirk Merrington. For a Fox Sterlingworth... maybe you could consider... someone else.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.