May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, CJF, Mike Harrell, Cobbhead, Jeremy Pearce, Wild Skies), 237 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,071
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jamie H Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hey guys. I wanted to introduce myself. To make a long story short, I have been shopping for an o/u for the past year or longer. I have been reading everything I could online, magazines, etc. While at first I thought I would be interested in sporting clays only (as I have enjoyed myself when I have participated), I see myself becoming more interested in upland bird hunting.

So I traveled two hours to a nice gun shop in MS to see some of these guns in person, with the intent of looking at O/Us. Well, to be honest, the gun that made the biggest impression on me was their Winchester Model 21 20 gauge. Now, thats out of my price range, but it did open my eyes up to the world of the SxS. I have been lurking on this forum this week, re-reading my shooting sportsman magazines, and the lone issue of the DGJ I picked up last year.

I can't shake the feeling of how good that Winchester Model 21 felt. It just seemed....perfect. But now I am interested in learning more about the vintage American SxS makers, so bear with me if I ask any dumb questions. Thanks again for the great forum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie H
Welcome to the forum
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If God had meant us to shoot O/U's, She would have positioned our eyes vertically. If She was thinking single barrels, we would all be Cyclops.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
can't shake the feeling of how good that Winchester Model 21 felt. It just seemed....perfect.

Well that's what guns do. They sing there siren song on the show room and then turn on you in the field!!! frown
Welcome to the forum. smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the board!

Ive put together this important canned advice for members new to SXSs to help save them time, money, ammo, and frustration.

Many vintage SXSs have far different stock dimensions than modern guns. Modern guns typically have 1.5 drop at the comb, 2.5 drop at the heal and a 14 Length of pull. Vintage SXSs, particularly vintage American SXSs, will typically have 3-3.5s drop at the heal. This steep drop will cause the average shooter to consistently shoot under his target. Its a good idea to take the shotgun that you currently shoot the best and measure its stock dimensions and then find a SXS with similar dimensions. Typically, with American SXSs (but not all) the more modern the gun, the more likely it will have modern shooting dimensions. If you have access, its a good idea to meet with a professional stock fitter and find out what stock dimensions fit you best. Again, money well spent in saving time, ammo, and frustration.

When you get your SXS, check it for point of impact. To learn where your gun is shooting, put up a large sheet of cardboard (a nice sized piece from an appliance box is good) draw five small black circles on the cardboard, one near each corner and one in the center, and then step back 50 feet. Starting in low gun position, smoothly bring your gun up to your shoulder and quickly shoot at one of the circles, just as youd shoot at a bird or a clay target starting from the low gun position. Repeat four more times shooting a fresh circle each time. Do you note a consistency as to where the shot is hitting the paper in relationship to the circle? That is your guns point of impact. With this knowledge you can either adjust your stock (by having it bent) or adjust your shooting view to compensate.

I hope you find this is information to be useful.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/01/12 12:00 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
Quote:
can't shake the feeling of how good that Winchester Model 21 felt. It just seemed....perfect.

Well that's what guns do. They sing there siren song on the show room and then turn on you in the field!!! frown
Welcome to the forum. smile

They also empty your wallets! But hey, ya can't take it with you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jamie. Welcome to this board.

If you liked the feeling of that Win 21 20ga, you should look at the BSS 20ga. They have a very similar feel to me. I favor the 28" long barrels of the BSS vs. the shorter 26" BSS. But both work well for me. The BSS is available in both straight (English) stock and pistol grip stock. They are all over the internet gun sales sites and typically run under $2000.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great advice, Chuck.

So many guns, so little time!
Jamie H Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Rockdoc-Thanks for the info! Very helpful!

Chuck- I'm gonna check those out for sure. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you liked the 21, you may like these. They are practically clones of a 21 with the long receiver bar and gun configuration. Very well made, but to find one in 20 ga. might take a while. The ad mentions Matador, but it is a Higgins 100 made by the highly respedted AyA company.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275348799

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.