May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (lagopus, ClapperZapper, cpa), 581 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have not seen this question on this board before but im sure that its a old topic. Is there any benefits to modern plastic wads in old shotguns that the chockes are intergrated into almost the entire length of the barrel? Or are they manley beneficial to modern shotguns where the chokes are in the last few inches of the firearms? Will a old shotgun pattern better with the plastic wads or the old fiber wads?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe you may have a misconception of the chokes in older guns. While some barrels may have some taper from breach to muzzle, the choke in all the barrels I've seen was still in the last few inches.

I shoot plastic wads in old guns. A modern plastic wad with a shotcup will provide a tighter pattern in general. A modern plastic wad without a shotcup will have a pattern not much different than a felt wad.

"Better" is just a question of tighter versus looser, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All my doubles were made in the past 30 years or so; some very recently and all have fixed chokes and all the chokes are in the last few inches of barrel (that's how chokes work) and I shoot modern shells with plastic shotcups all the time.

I think some very few guns were made with full-taper barrels but I'm sure more knowledgeable people can comment on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have looked for and talked about tapered bore guns for 50 years. Stories of Parkers and LeFever tapered bore guns are out there but I have never seen one. Even had a friend in PA who was going to bore a sleeve job with a full taper but never finished the project.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to hear from someone that has such a gun in hand. I don't mean one that has .002 - .005 taper which could just be incidental, but one that has a lot of taper that was obviously intended to impart a choke effect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As Chuck H. indicates, "better" can be in the eye of the beholder.

If "better" involves relative pattern density, then the nod most often will go to loads that use modern plastic wads. This will be due to the wads' ability to seal powder gasses and in their ability to reduce shot deformation. However, this ability can come at the cost of "hot" pattern cores and "overchoked" shot counts. "Better" can also come at the cost of plastic fouling even though lead fouling is usually reduced.

The "magic" tends to be more the result of wad design than of wad materials. Greener describes a very "modernistic" one-piece paper wad, "The Swedish Wad", that delivered some very impressive results. Years ago, an article in "The American Rifleman" described simple light cardboard "shot concentrators" (shot cups). I have made these devices and I have used them to good effect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greener describes a tapered barrel (page 254) and illustrates it (page 261, barrel #3)

However, he distinguishes such a barrel from a "choked" one and refers to it as a type of "cylinder" barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a couple of Lefever crossbolt guns with "tapered bores". The first one is a Grade 5B and the second is an Optimus. Not all of the crossbolts I have measured have tapered bores, but some do. Measurements are taken at 2 inch intervals from the muzzle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We're probably about due for a new thread here. But, dismissing that, Daryl - what thought have you given to that step that occurs in the first set of barrels at about 10-12 inches?

Sidelock
Sidelock

5E, I see there is an Increasing Decrease in diameter from about 16" to 10" from the muzzle. I am no expert at all on this. Maybe they were trying to get the bore diameter smaller as they approached the choke area so they could use choking tools made for more "normal" diameters. What do you and others think ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.