April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Pwog, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 372 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Makes sense; a neat choice for a 'wall, especially if it's easier to make than a .25 Krag Short.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made several rimless wall extractors, with mixed success. One problem is the weak side-loaded extractor spring and another problem is lack of primary extraction camming. Worked OK for 30-06 but got stuck brass with both 223 Rem and 243 Win. Sometimes worked fine, other times they stuck, all with the same loads. Nowadays I stick with rimmed cases.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Springfield 1903 sporter stocked in walnut by Hal Hartley of North Carolina. It is dated 1981.

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just as a matter of interest, if anybody has a Hal Hartley High Wall in 6mm/303 John Pell supplied the barrel for it.
John did one for me as well. A really nice guy.

Last edited by Nero; 03/29/20 06:13 PM.
xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's one of three almost identical Springfields made for me by Harry and Hal in calibers 7mm Remington Magnum, .375/.338 Winchester Magnum (.375 Taylor) and .458 Winchester Magnum. This one is the .375 Taylor.

I don't know why Hal made the fore end so long, unless it was to protect the left hand from getting hit by the sling swivel during recoil. This was 1964 and the idea of a barrel mounted sling swivel had not yet gained a following in this country.

I saw nothing wrong with it at the time. It looks a bit bizarre now.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi Folks!

I recently purchased a customized Remington 37 that I'm _told_ was built by Harry Creighton ...

That may or may not be true, but it does live up to the Creighton reputation for accuracy …

Any insight anyone here could offer would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Dave Buffington

xausa Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My late friend and shooting partner, Tom Shacklett, was an avid small bore shooter and had a number of Remington 37's. His relationship with Harry dated back even further than mine, so he could well have barreled the rifle for Tom. I was tasked with liquidating Tom's collection after his untimely death in an auto accident, and I don't recall that rifle specifically, but I was never a Model 37 shooter, being an Anschutz fan,

Harry usually stamped "CP" for "Creighton proofed" on the barrels he fitted, at least for the center fire calibers. I don't know if he did the same for rimfires.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: xausa
My late friend and shooting partner, Tom Shacklett, was an avid small bore shooter and had a number of Remington 37's. His relationship with Harry dated back even further than mine, so he could well have barreled the rifle for Tom.

Many thanks for the info! I'm dreading doing it -- for fear of messing up whatever voodoo makes the gun such a good shooter -- but I'm going to remove the stock from the barreled action some evening soon to see what, if any, markings are on the barrel.

Thanks again!
Dave

Boxlock
Boxlock

In the meantime, I did find some markings on the upper side of the barrel under the existing Weaver rail and scope mount:

C.R.HART
22 L.R.

For those who might be unfamiliar, Hart Rifle Barrels was founded by Charles and Clyde Hart in the 1950s, and the company remains a leading barrel maker. This, of course, helps explain the accuracy of the gun.

Enjoy!
Dave

Boxlock
Boxlock

For your enjoyment, from the June 27, 1947 edition of the Nashville Banner ...

Last edited by dbuffington; 05/14/20 08:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.