I selling a JW Tolley "Altro" 12 BLNE. It will be his 1st English SxS. The barrel address is 5 Regent Place, London with "Altro" engraved on the left barrel. Boothroyd's states Tolley was only at 5 Regent from 1910-1915.

I told him I'd do a little research, that I thought the maker was W&C Scott.

There is no SN on the trigger guard. There is a 57760 on the left barrel and a 2055 on the forend lug. The BSA logo is on both barrels. No Scott marks of any kind on the gun.

There was nothing close in the 1914 Scott catalog, so I looked in my 1914 Midland catalog. On a lark, I thought, I wonder if the 2055 on the lug is a Midland model number. I went right to Model 2055 on page 19 and there was the gun. Original chamber length is marked on the barrels as 2 3/4". The Midland description says "long chambers".

Have I stumbled on a way to ID Midland gun models that were retailed by others?

Any other Midland owners want to check their forend lugs for a Model number? I have one other gun, a 32" hammer 12. I'll check that this evening.

I let Abby at Cornell Publication copy all of my Midland catalogs, so they are available from her. My 1914 catalog should have copied well.

Joe