April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, Hammergun, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 405 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The light weight 3" 20 ga. is why God invented the 16 gauge.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must admit, I am a bit of a recoil wimp. I have a nice Spanish 20 ga that weighs exactly 6 lbs. It is a nice field gun but a couple of rounds of clays can be a real pain. [:)]

I can not imagine shooting more then a few 3" rounds.

Tnx
RPr

Boxlock
Boxlock

Too many 3" rounds through a light 20 will most likely result in..."A bloody nose and the inability to read your watch".

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first double was an Ithaca/SKB Model 100 20 gauge 28" M/F($188). I shot a lot of ducks with that gun and Federal 3" #6 and #4 for the second shot while drifting down rivers and sneaking up on farm ponds. The advent of Non-Toxic steel put the gun to rest. It also performed quite well on pheseants and everything else that flew or ran and was legal. No problems with recoil, gun was just over 6#'s. I guess the birds and critters never looked at a pattern board or read any of the Sports writers!
Now have Win Model 21 3" 20 gauge! -Dick

granby Offline OP
OP Offline

Glad to see this number of posts because it reminded me of points I should have covered initially.

First, the main point I was making here (and, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong on this) is that SxS's made to accomodate the 3" shell by necessity have to be a good deal meatier than guns that were designed around the 2.5" or 2.75" shells--all other things being equal, of course. That greater "meatiness", also by necessity, translates into greater weight, all other things being equal. The result is typically, for production line guns, a gun that weighs in at, say, 1/2 lb more than necessary.

So, the question is WHY would anyone want to carry around a gun weighing as much as a decent 2.75" 12 ga that, payload for payload, can produce a better (more efficient) pattern than this overly robust twenty and is chambered for a shell can be had in factory loadings with greater diversity than any other shotshell on earth and shells that can be obtained anywhere where ammunition is sold. Not to mention the greater price that 3" 20 ga shells usually demand when compared with comparable 2.75" twelves. A direct and (I think) apt analogy would be the Remington 870; for what PRACTICAL reason would I ever want to carry a 16 ga Model 870 (which is built on a 12 ga frame and always weighs as much, and sometimes a bit more than, a comparable 12 ga gun) when I can tote the twelve with no more of a burden and all kinds of benefits?

And as far as aesthetics are concerned, many if not most of the regular members of this forum will certainly appreciate proportionality as applied to the construction of nice guns. When compared with a double like the Bland 20 ga I mentioned in the first post or any decent 12 or 16 ga double, most 3" 20 ga guns seem like they've been dipping a bit too often into the steroids stash. Overly thick/heavy on the frame and chamber walls. At least they do to me, anyway.

So, IMHO Jonty hit it on the mark re: a "battery". I'm hardly wealthy but my recreational priorities are such that I've managed over the years to acquire a few SxS's and O/U's that suit my needs for different types of hunting. A 6 pound, short barreled 12 ga (2.75" naturally) and light twenty for ruffed grouse and timberdoodles (both SxS); two 12 ga, 6.5-7 pound 28" guns (1 O/U and 1 SxS) for pheasants and other open country birds and several pump guns for waterfowl and rainy-day upland hunts. Also a pair of longer-barreled target (skt, sc, trap) guns that double for doves. The grouse/wc guns mentioned above are light enough and sufficiently well-balanced to allow me to go all day in the thick stuff (one-handed carrying while fending off brush) where weightier, front-weighted, longer barreled guns would have me arm weary at the end of the day.

As far as gun weight goes, I learned that leasson very early on when, as it so happened, I was in top physical shape. I went through undergraduate school on an athletic scholarship, the point being that at that time I wasn't exactly Jabba the Hut. At that time I was using my brother's Savage Fox BSE 12 ga w/28" bbls--an unwieldy clunker of the first order--and, midway through a long day's hunt, the arms/hands were always straight out and ill-prepared to react to a fast/difficult flush. Since that time I've spent a lot of hours seeking out lighter weight guns and there's no doubt in my mind that I do better with them. Frankly, and for whatever reason, I've never had much of a problem connecting with light, short-barreled guns. Now that I'm old and carrry a few extra pounds, a featherweight serves me all the better.

Finally, as far as having experience with the 3" 20 ga, my first repeating shotgun was a Mossberg 500 in this chambering and I've owned many others since, including several SKB SxS's and O/U's that never saw a 3 incher. My opinion: too much recoil and not enough pattern.

Last edited by granby; 01/31/07 08:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You ought to be a gun writer, Granby. There's enough double-talk in that last one there to satisfy any magazine editor... You say, in paragraph two, that a 3" 20 weighs the same as a proper 2 3/4" 12 which will do everything better, load for load... and in the last claim to have owned 3" 20s and never shot any 3" shells because of recoil! But... if they weigh the same... how can... the recoil be different load for load?

Also, when comparing shell costs consider that the 3" 20 is a plated/buffered/magnum load (premium shell). Compare with a 2 3/4" 12 of equal quality, and there's not much if any price difference. They are more expensive than cheapo 1 1/4oz twelves.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun of choice of many of the younger locals I have hunted with in IA & SD is the 20ga Rem 870 magnum. Premium 3" #4 or 5 when they are flush and Walmart special of the week when money is tight. No complaints about patterns of either.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where does Joe Retail find a new entry-level 12 ga. double gun that's as light as a typical 3" 20 ga.? The guy looking for an under 7 lb. off-the-shelf double gun with new gun warranty doesn't find many 12 ga. options. That was me 25 years ago when I bought a 20 ga. Citori Sporter that weighed about 6-3/4 lbs. It was comfortable enough to shoot Federal Premium 3"ers for the number of shots a day wild pheasant hunting will offer. Patterns were just fine through those IC/M tubes too.

From what I see the options for that buyer haven't changed a whole lot.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 01/31/07 09:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I forgot to mention the 20 gauge 870 LT WT Magnum that replaced the SKB for float trips with the infamous steel shot. 6#'s 2oz and NO problems with recoil with either lead or steel. My son at 14 even shot a few geese with that gun with 3" Federal steel #2's. For pheseant, I would load two 2&3/4" #6 with the third being a 3" #4. With the Full choke barrel never had any problems out to 40+yds.
Todays firearms are designed with liability in mind and most will not be as light as thier equivalent 40 years ago. But yesterday's 3" 20 gauge guns were light and certainly lighter than today's 12 gauge equivalents or thier contemoraries of the past. One writer, I think his last name was Sell wrote quite a bit about the 3" 20 and of course Jack O'Connor made it famous with his Win Model 21.
BTW you can get a Beretta o/u with 26" barrels that weighs about 6# 2oz that i have weighed. My brother-in-law owns it and shoots 3" shells when we hunt pheseants with it.
So I guess I don't really understand what you are saying or asking?-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 01/31/07 10:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had an Italian 3" 20ga that weighed 6¼lbs with 28" bbls. For the hunting I was doing with it it got mostly the 2½de-1oz load, but I shot some 3" loads of 1¼oz #4's through it. It was quite trim & handled well & recoil was not excessive for hunting purposes. I guess the game I shot at had been reading Mr Sell's writing for they all seemed to fall dead at the shot, including some ducks & a goose. My take is if the majority of your shootin will be with an oz of shot & only occasionally an 1¼oz the 3" 20 is fine. For a gun to be used predominately with 1¼oz I would go with a twelve & preferably one of at least 7lbs for the 3¼de-1¼oz loads & heavier if using the high velocity 3 3/4de 1¼oz.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.