April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, Jim H., obsessed-with-doubles, Kolar Dickson, Sandlapper, HMAK), 401 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The twins are fine..Penelope ??? I wish I knew!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
There is a term in hot rods - "Resto-Mod". Similar to what Chuck did with that A grade Fox. And I like Chuck's A grade.

Best,

Mike

Is 'Bubba' wood and the wrong case colors like hot rodding a 1928 Packard Phaeton.....?.....Or would you consider it just like using a non-factory metal flake paint scheme on the same 1928 Packard Phaeton.....?.........

I suppose beauty is in the 'eye of the beholder-fixer upper'.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few thoughts on that casehardening color...I wondered about the colors a bit after I got the gun back. Fox guns had that sloppy 'splashed water' look that only a collector could love. I think this gun had that look on the water table. I don't know if anyone replicates that today. I had one guy do the whole gun and he uses Turnbull normally for his metal finishes. So, I didn't give it much thought other than when I get it out it looks muddy to me.

Anyone know of a source that does that blue 'splash' look today? I might consider redoing the case again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:

Larry Del Grego & Son ***does super nice original style Cyanide on Parkers and Foxes...
1757 Barringer Road
Illion, New York...13357
315-894-8754
In business 56 years

Larry did these Cyanide Case Colors on this original GHE Parker in '03......his quality work looks factory original IMO....."what you call splash".........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
The thing is, while that tiger striping is correct for Rem Parkers, I don't think the Fox guns had the tiger striped finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Doug,
The thing is, while that tiger striping is correct for Rem Parkers, I don't think the Fox guns had the tiger striped finish.

Chuck:
I don't think the Foxes or Parkers had tiger stripes......

Early factory Fox and Parkers had a really nice Cyanide factory look IMO (like Del Grego's).......no "tiger stripes" as you say.....so you think those Del Grego Parker CCH pictures look tiger striped.......? .... I don't see any tiger stripes on the original GHE Parker above......

This SW has original factory Fox Cyanide CCH and it sure doesn't have stripes or splashes IMO.... Del Grego's nice work looks about the same as factory originals to me.....all grade Foxes after about 1910 used Cyanide CCH.........

Probably back to the "beholder" thing Chuck..........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Early factory Fox and Parkers had a really nice Cyanide factory look IMO (like Del Grego's).

Early Parkers were bone-charcoal cased, so the DelGrego colors are nice, but not correct for the early guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
the pic of the Parker shows the lines of color on the frame and forend iron. The belly of the Fox shows spotting almost like water splashes to me. No lines of color like the Parker. But I do agree that both are cyanide casehardened, just done by a different process. My understanding is that there is a stepped immersion to get that striping look. I beleive the Fox is immersed in the molten cyanide salt bath all at once.

Here's a pic of a Trojan, stated by the owner as a Del Grego restoration. The tiger striping is clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:

Your immersion/quench understanding would be correct I believe ........stepped or in it's entirety.....I do quite a bit of bone charcoal CCH as you know, but have no desire to tackle cyanide.......

The Trojan you posted sure doesn't look like any work that Larry Del Grego would do......I think someone is blowing smoke you know where.....?......

http://parkershotgunrepair.com/parker_shotgun_services.html

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the best in the business today is Brad Bachelder. He has nailed the original Parker Colors the closest to the original, IMO, and in the opinion of many others. You don't get that awful "tiger stripe" that Del Grego does.

http://bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/Contact.html

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.