April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fudd, campero, Jtplumb, AGS, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 976 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,178
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
GLS #265472 02/13/12 10:05 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Daryl,
This is what he did in his words:
"The angle of the break into the head of the stock didn't allow for full length steel rods as I'd hoped, but I was able to use hidden brass screws (I like to cut the heads off and slot the shank so I can countersink a bit. I prefer them to pins cut off at the surface)."
Gil

Darrel, I've done a similar thing only I used stainless steel screws that I notched with a file. After I've screwed one in so the notch is below the surface it's easy to break the screw off at the notch. Before installing the screws I threaded the holes the same as the screw and slathered the screws and holes with epoxy before installation.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 02/13/12 10:06 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you know of any good checkerers in Northern Virginia, Maryland, or Pennsylvania? I am looking for one to re-do the checkering pattern on a Winchester Model 21 I am buying. It has the kidney pattern and I want a full point pattern. This is similar to what was found on the Custom Grade, that Winchester made from 1959 to 1979. I know this will not help with the value, but this is a gun I intend to keep and shoot clay pigeons with.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

While not in the geographic area you specify, you ought to check out Hank Peters in Moorestown, NJ, on the eastern edge of the Delaware River, near Philadelphia.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whilst not being personally in favour of repair in stocks like this there is an issue that you may wish to consider. A couple of years ago a stock was brought to me ,broken . I said that it need to be restocked and quoted for the work . The customer declined and took it elsewhere and it was subsequently repaired . The repair was very good and difficult to spot unless you knew where to look . A while later the stock again broke ,this time the customer decided to have it restocked and claimed on his insurance . The insurance company on inspecting the gun discovered the repair and immediately rejected the claim on the grounds of that previous repair . They also informed him that they would not have been liable for any claims for injury ,had they arisen as for the same reasons.

GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gunman,
The breaking of my gun was not an insurable event. Even if it were, my deductible would have been high. To restock the gun would have exceeded the economic value of the gun. Insurance companies make money collecting premiums, not paying claims. That's from my experience in a collateral profession. Furthermore, a third-party claim under my jurisdiction's law would need to prove negligence on my part not the mere fact of injury. Perhaps the insurance company rejected the claim because the initial breakage was not reported because there was no insurance at the time or the owner felt it wasn't an insurable event. However, in my state, a repaired object has insurable value and, at least here, what was told the unfortunate in your case would not be correct.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.