April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Bob Jurewicz, Jimmy W), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a digital fish scale, as Chuck suggests, and find it works great. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a digital postal scale that's good up to 50lbs. and also a hanging infant scale from a hospital that has the basket replaced with a vinyl coated hook. Both work well and give the same results; one at the house and the other at the shop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one that is similar or the same as Sharpsrifle. It is a Salter kitchen scale that was about $25.00 - $30.00, but it does top out at 11 lbs. However, my wife paid for it, since it is "her" kitchen scale, but works fine for me. Can weigh a SxS whole or parts. Also, in lbs. or grams.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure the new digital scales are nice but if you want dead on accuracy time and time again and not have to wonder if it's calibrated, get an old fashioned balance beam. Baby scales would probably be the best.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Pelouze postal scale that I bought at an office supply store. Zero to 10# in one oz increments, easy to interpolate to 1/2 oz. Adjustable and easy to check accuracy with a reference weight, no batteries to wear out, cheap. Gives me the same readings as the mega bucks digital scale at the high end gun shop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Personally, I wouldn't get all worked up over calibration. We're usually trying to see how heavy a gun is. Measurment to the nearest ounce is all I can envision is required. I expect any digital scale could do that. But for those that 'gots to know', take a one gallon jug of water to the post office, UPS or FedEx store(they all have periodic calibration of their scales) and have them weigh it for you and mark the jug. Keep the sealed jug around for a "calibration weight".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aren't we getting a little ridiculous? I'm 70 and hobble about somewhat shooting pen raised birds but I'm damned if a couple of ounces one way or another makes it easier to hobble. What's next? Weighing the birds we shoot and have to carry? Then, what obout the weight of our shells? Our boots, our socks? Enuff already! Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

I settled all the 'I think it weighs' problems a number of years ago with the purchase of an Ohaus CS5000 and 2 kg cal weight. the Ohaus is light (mostly plastic), small, so you can take it anywhere (gunshows and gun dealers) and with the cal weight, you know you are dead on. The 5000, stands for 5000 grams or 5 kg. Purchased on the net for about $75, the cal weight was almost as much. But if you are concerned about weight, it is a low cost addition to your gun tools.
http://www.itinscales.com/ocs.htm -Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 01/30/07 11:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Put the gun in a hard case, take it to a branch postoffice after hours. Weight the gun and case together. Go back to your car, take the gun out of the case. Leave the gun in the car. Take the empty case back into the post office and weigh the empty case. Subtract the last weight from the first weight, result is the weight of the gun

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.