April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (obsessed-with-doubles, LGF, Lloyd3, rtw, CJ Dawe, SKB), 814 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,818
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260628 01/12/12 01:15 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys,

Thought you might like to see some pictures from the muzzle loading day near Shrewsbury yesterday. I had a good friend of mine double gun me two Pape percussion guns. It was a superb day and I hit more things that I anticipated and even had a super left and right with the Pape number 1!!

Lovely bunch of people. All organised by our very own Salopian here on the forums. Thanks Peter for such a nice day.

Cheers
T

I got awarded an "Elmer Fudd" statue at the end of the day for erm.."Best something" not sure what though...I have a rather large accolade to live up to though as last years winner was a very good (and well known) shot/chap called Peter Croft...who can be seen with me in the last photo discussing his BP Grant.

Cheers!
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately we don't have anything close to this sort of hunt in my local. My double fowler rarely comes out of the closet as my friends don't have the patience to wait up while I reload it. It is hard enough to try to convince them to even use an old double. They are off trying new chokes and the latest Black Cloud pheasant loads. I just carry my chin up and make sure I take down as many or more with my hinged doubles with black powder shell loads. So much for red-necked Calgary!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pictures Tony, thanks for the post......

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Fantastic Tony ,I loved the photo's...what a dream to participate in a shoot like that!!!.

All the best old trout!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like gtreat fun, Tony! Wish I could've been there.

Yeah, nothing like this is ever happening in my neck of the woods either. I'm the lone Indian "White Cloud".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes what a lovely day, fine weather, good birds flying, good food, good company. Good friendships made, but best of all is the knowledge that Tony has to bring Elmer back for next years presentation. The reason you got the award is because you deserved it.
Salopian.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys, they actually let you shoot guns on what appears to be a well-manicured golf course? wink Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Golf course? No wonder you guys keep losing the Ryder cup! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS,
Your comment interested me enough to reply.
The shoot that we were on is just a normal Country estate farmland.
Yes the grass is shorn immaculately by sheep.
But if you were to see the gateways where the cattle have congregated ready for milking time you will find a quagmire.
We shoot about eight times a year, pure black powder days we have our own little group, we call ourselves The Black Hand Gang, due to the condition we get into reloading.
Normal procedure is 14 or 16 guns on 7 or 8 pegs (two people per peg) one muzzleloader and one breech loader (hammerguns, not those new fangled hammerless things).
The muzzleloader is on the peg first discharges his gun and then the breech loader steps up whilst the muzzler reloads, this way we can address any flushes. Everyone seems to enjoy the days.
There was an article in DGJ about 4or 5 years ago by Miles Gilbert, when he came over and shot with us, I think he enjoyed it also.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
GLS,

The shoot that we were on is just a normal Country estate farmland.
Yes the grass is shorn immaculately by sheep.

Looks like a beautiful spot to shoot and a good time by all. A dropped bird on the "fairway" would certainly be easier to find and recover. I understand the reason that many estates only allow fibre wads used on premises is because plastic wads are harmful to the sheep when ingested. They would also add a lot of litter to a beautiful spot. Gil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.