March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, JDH, Jtplumb, craigd, JayCee, 1 invisible), 363 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

NIgel:
The book is "British Gunmakers Vol. Two - Birmingham, Scotland & The Regions." By Nigel Brown. From Quiller Press in the UK.

My apologies for attributing it to Donald Dallas.

Last edited by Kensal Rise; 12/20/11 05:53 PM.
Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hugh,

Crown over BV, NP and BP are 1904 onwards as far as I know.

Nigel

Last edited by Nigel; 12/21/11 05:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having the chamber length stamped would put it post 1925....

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is hard to be sure from the photo, but that might be a date mark on the blued portion just to the right of "oz" on the right barrel underside. Can you post a photo of just that area?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a W/R,, I guess it's a T series SxS 12ga.
Ser# is 'T70xx' (I honestly can't recall the last 2 numbers)
Ejectors, straight grip, about 70% scroll engraved but the plainest fence post wood they could find.
Horn(?) butt plate with W/R logo.
No C/Colors left to speak of.

It's all disassembled. I'll see if I can post a pic of the receiver and some parts.

Same proofs as the one shown (1 1/4oz,,12/c in diamond,,etc). But all the bbl proofs are on the bottom of the tubes forward of the flats,,nothing on the flats at all.
Each tube is also ser#'d ahead of the flats. Also marked 'Westley Richards Steel' around a triangle mark.

Action flats have ser# and a Crown/BV on each side.

Out of service right now with a broken left mainspring. A winter project to get it back in order. Perhaps I can do something with the weary looking wood at the same time. Worn optically thin on the forend just ahead of the iron where the ejector box sits. might be time for a new stock!

Retailers name engraved on the left tube,,same name inside an oak/leather case that it came to me in.

I tried to find out yr/mfg'r. I think I used the W/R site and it came up with 1890something. But IIRC that was w/o the 'T' included in the ser#.
Other than that I haven't searched it out at all. Shot skeet with it alot though.

Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Desjarlais
It is hard to be sure from the photo, but that might be a date mark on the blued portion just to the right of "oz" on the right barrel underside. Can you post a photo of just that area?

Mike,

I took a careful photo of the mark and it turns out to be the 'crown-over cursive BP' which is the 1856 Birmingham provisional proof for barrels.

Nigel

Last edited by Nigel; 12/21/11 07:30 AM.
Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
I have a W/R,, I guess it's a T series SxS 12ga.
Ser# is 'T70xx' (I honestly can't recall the last 2 numbers)
Ejectors, straight grip, about 70% scroll engraved but the plainest fence post wood they could find.
--snip--
Same proofs as the one shown (1 1/4oz,,12/c in diamond,,etc). But all the bbl proofs are on the bottom of the tubes forward of the flats,,nothing on the flats at all.
Each tube is also ser#'d ahead of the flats. Also marked 'Westley Richards Steel' around a triangle mark. Action flats have ser# and a Crown/BV on each side.

Kutter,

Looks like your T series and mine have several things in common and several differences. Interesting that all your proof marks are on the barrels and mine are on the flats. I have the serial nos on the flats but not the 'Westley Richards Steel' (I'd rather like that on mine!)

I have stripped mine down part-way but my screwdrivers aren't fine enough to unscrew the screw beneath the action and I know what will happen if I try too hard (another buggered screw slot). Since I have to send the gun off to have the action tightened I'll have the gunsmith strip and clean the action. The top lever spring also needs replacing.

Like yours, it looks as though WR looked around for the most boring piece of wood they coud find and fashioned my stock out of it! When I got the gun the wood was soaked with 3-in-1 which I have had to remove with acetone and calcium carbonate powder. When I have re-oiled the stock I hope it will look better.

If you have some pics, I'd love to see what your WR looks like.

Nigel

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have Westley hammer gun with steel barrels that has the T prefix in the serial number. A very plain example with no engraving and words THE INSEPERABLE on the rib. I havent been able to find a lot of information about it

Nigel Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,

Do you have any photos? I'd be interested to see some.

Nigel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very high end droplock on Gunbroker with a T series serial no. Fancy back, highly engraved.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.