April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, R. Glenz, L. Brown, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 422 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,232
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22564 01/28/07 01:08 PM
Eric B Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

It's been mentioned here that the RBL and some other guns have laser cut checkering. Is this checkering just straight cut lines with square tops or are they using a stair step cut to get more of a V shaped look? A laser also cuts deeper in soft grain than in hard; is that noticeable?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was there with Builder, back in May, Tony had one of the guys checker a RBL forend while we were there. I didn't see a stairstep type of burn. It looked like, and I think Tony said, it burned on an angle by rotating the part to the diamond angle. It looked fairly uniform in depth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

here's a pic of the machine. The blue part in the middle is a forend (RBL) with blue masking tape on it. According to Tony, the machine burns more uniformly with this tape on it. The laser head(s) is in the middle at the top of the picture (black thing). There is another laser head on the left upper corner of the pic. This is a two position machine. I believe it's a 4 axis machine; the head moves x,y, and z (l/r, fore/aft, and up/down. and the part rotates.

Last edited by Chuck H; 01/28/07 01:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So..... this is a gun that you wouldn't say was hand made?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hand fitted and wood finish is about the only hand work I can recall.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lasers do what they do by burning, not cutting. Guns are not hand made, they are made by very sophisticated, wonderful machines, with the least amount of hand work possible. "Hand made guns" are the same load of BS as "low recoil" powder.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say the RBL is the state of the art of what Eli Whitney started when he sold guns to the military that had interchangable parts.

As for hand made, the saying goes "all hand made, no two alike"

Last edited by Chuck H; 01/28/07 02:32 PM.
Eric B Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks, Chuck. As they say: "A picture's worth a thousand words". I have some experience with a fairly simple laser engraver which does have a rotating fixture, but it can only be programmed for cylindrical shapes. This machine was obviously designed for it's intended purpose.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With all that hi tech machinery and programming, why aren't they using a more sophisticated resist/mask instead of what appears to be 3M's blue painter's tape? With the volume of RBL's they should be building, it would seem that some sort of preformed sleeve would speed the process and provide more uniformity in the laser burning, because you would not have to worry about gaps or overlaps in the tape wrapping.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just looked at my RBL's chekering under a magnifing glass. The point's are angled and most come to a sharp point with few flat topped ones and appear to be similar to conventional cut chekering. The biggest difference I see is there is some darkness of burnt wood and you can smell it. The borders are very straight lined with no over-run and angled similar to the points. The depth at which it is cut seems to be much deeper than hand cut.

Chuck mentioned the dark background in an earlier thread on the RBL. I now see what he was talking about even though I don't think mine is as dark as the one he saw.

The one thing I am thinking about on my RBL is to have the chekering hand chased to clean out the darkness left by the lazer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.