May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (arrieta2, 2 invisible), 743 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,719
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#255615 12/08/11 07:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering a rifle (just the barrel, really) but even making an offer hinges on the condition of the bore. I am on one side of the country and the hopeful seller is on the other. Is it possible to have a barrel examined with a bore scope and have the results sent to me as some sort of computer file or DVD?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Very limited experience I have with someone else's bore scope in my shop leads me to believe:
1. they are difficult to use and it requires an experienced and knowing operator.
2.For older or used rifles you are almost certainly going to see things you don't want to and aren't equipped to truly understand.
3. There is a huge amount of surface area revealed and unless you're in process, (can compare inside to outside) knowing even what region you were in is nearly impossible to determine.

While a bore scope in the hands of an experienced person is a marvel of wonderment. Anything less almost for sure will be confusing and concerning.
I'm sure it is possible to take pictures with one, but I have no idea how...
BTW: most of my experince was looking at the bores of brand-new quality barrels, the used barrel I tried was like crawling down a small NY city sewer, and it didn't look too bad with the naked eye!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used to examine the insides of city sewers via a crawler camera for a living. I might have something of a basis of reference. Is there a read-out that shows which way is up and how far down the barrel the camera is?

What I really want to know is the condition of the bore and how well it shoots. The barrel is a Stevens-Pope, a 22 rimfire from about 1904. If it was shot with corrosive primers and put away without cleaning, it is probably done for. Putting a liner in it will not do. If anyone has a suggestion, I would sure like to hear it.

Last edited by waterman; 12/08/11 11:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think what you need is a good friend, or even a decent acquaintance who lives near the rifle and who can do even a 10 minute inspection of it. Buy him a bottle of wine or a case of good beer for his trouble, and one day, maybe the favor can be reversed.

I had this situation once on a very expensive rifle - pretty far out of my league, but I had a guy in Amsterdam where the rifle was supposed to be. So, why not ask Frans to take a peek at it.

Turned out the rifle didn't even exist - at least not in Amsterdam. It was a total fraud. The real rifle was in a safe in upstate Connecticut or something like that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a borescope and have looked down a few barrels. Sometimes I see things and wonder how the barrel shoots so well.

Last edited by Altamaha; 12/09/11 12:33 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brent's idea sounds like the best one. I'll ask around.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.