May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22431 01/27/07 06:34 PM
dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RBL # 354 arrived on 1-24-07 ordered 9-28-05 PIF The year and four month wait was bad, but the week it took for shipping was worse!

This gun is stright grip,splinter,double trigger,case color,Ex-Turkish,14 1/4" LOP,assisted opener, $3924.00 as ordered.

I'm very pleasantly surprized and pleased with my gun! I wanted an American made quality SxS in a price range that I could afford. This is exactly what I got with this gun.

The fit and finish are top notch on this one. Wood to metal is good,the action/barrel fit is excellent,the pores are filled with a nice finish that a good oil job should look like. The case color is dark and helps the engraving out. trigger pull's are crisp and lighter than most production guns.Balance point is where the wood meet's the metal on the forearm, but doesn't feel barrel heavy. The assisted opener helps on opening but makes it a little stiff on closing. The ejectors are timed and really snap "when using snap-caps, don't have them pointed at anything you care about" The checkering is good but different than I'm used to seeing, I can smell the lazer cut. The trigger guard tang is real trick and clean by not having any screw's in it.

I have been real nervous about my decision on EX-Turkish for the wood. I feel like I hit the lottery with the stick I got! I imagine it could be argued it's not a $700.00 blank but IMO I got my money's worth."I've had restock jobs that cost almost what this whole gun did"

Now that I have it there are things I would change and some I would do over.

I would:1.Order the Ex-Wood it may not be worth $700.00 but it sure makes a nice looking gun. 2.The case colors,this is just me but with the shallow machine-lazer engraving that Tony choose to use,I feel it tones it down and makes for a cleaner look.

I would not: 1.Get the assisted opener,it's a neat toy but I'm a hunter not a target shooter and should have saved the $450.00
2.I would not have ordered the engraved barrel wedge, I specified the original engraving when that whole thing went down after the first guns were delivered. There appears to be two different patterns now and this one is the small one that is set back about 3/16" from the breech. The proto-type guns looked good with it,but this new variation misses the mark and I feel is not what I ordered.

There are a couple of things I wish this gun had: 1.Hand cut checkering,the bottom of the checkering is dark from the lazer and hides the grain from view. 2.I wish Tony would have put a butt plate with some type of logo on it, rather than just a plain horizontal lined one.

Over-all this is a real nice gun that I'm very happy with. I know of no other SxS this nice offered at this price point."maybe Parker-repro's" Even at $3924.00 it's a heck of a deal and American made to boot!

The wait was terrible,the communication from Galazans a disaster,and the production out of sequence plain pi*sed me off.The end result helped make up for it!

Now I wish they would come out with different gauge barrel set's for it!

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/frbrit/P1010030.jpg?t=1169938043[/img]

Last edited by dogon; 01/27/07 06:50 PM.
dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm trying to post pictures of # 354 but with my limited computer skills I'am having a bear of a time. Could someone send me detailed instructions on how to do this!

I've tried the instructions in the FAQ with no luck! prehlers@comcast.net

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go:

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dogon, That's the nicest RBL furniture yet.
The lasers do that - same thing on the Rizzini B's.

Last edited by Yeti; 01/27/07 06:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations, nothing like a new gun day. You have a nice piece of wood there and I don't think anyone would say otherwise. It certainly looks Turkish and if there was any doubt it could also pass as top English so you're covered in my book. As far as the checkering goes, you can have it chased by any number of guys and that would reveal the grain, let me know if you need any leads.MazelTov.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a mighty fine piece of wood.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice run of grain up front and I like the color cast better than the Winchester red on the black walnut. The scroll on the barrels does look a bit isolated; simple ring on border at the breech would have looked a bit more acceptable/conventional.

jack

dogon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete,
Thanks for the help! I was able to get one picture up but then everything locked up on me.

Guy's thanks for the complements, I feel that I really lucked out with this one!

Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

That certainly is a beautiful piece of wood!! Enjoy your gun.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete-
Nicest RBL I've seen yet. Excellent grain in grip and very nice quartersawn butt with black veins ( and seldom seen feather) in j.regia. I sent a similar photo example with my order last year.

My compliments !
best regards,
JBP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.