May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, CJF, Mike Harrell, Cobbhead, Jeremy Pearce, Wild Skies), 237 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,071
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Owning several older 12 gauge SxS's that I use for pheasant hunting led me to research lower-pressure and lower-recoil handloads suitable for their Damascus barrels. While one can perhaps use factory ammo, I prefer lower pressure handloads for an extra margin of safety.

I've found that one ounce loads of #5 shot about 1,200+ f.p.s perform well out to 40 yards. Having previously used 1-1/4 oz. heavier loads in regular steel barrels, I was initially concerned that low pressure 1 oz. loads might not have enough shot (and power) for clean "in-the-air" kills. However, the 1 oz. loads have proven themselves.

Hodgdons/IMR #7625 powder has become my favorite. I load 23.5 grains of #7625 in Remington STS hulls with a Remington 209P primer,Remington TGT12 wads, and 1 oz. of #5 shot at an estimated 1,220 f.p.s. I've also been successfully using this same load in an older light-weight British boxlock SxS that weighs 6-1/2 pounds and has regular steel barrels.

When we hunt some "state-run public areas", non-toxic shot is required. I've recently begun using "NICE SHOT" from Precision Reloading for this purpose. While it is expensive at $30 per pound (not per bag), it is safe in older tightly choked shotguns, including Damascus. What is particularly interesting, is that one loads this (tungsten alloy?) shot using the same loading data as lead. No special wads or loading data are necessary. I've been using the same 12 gauge load listed above, except substituting the non-toxic "NICE SHOT" for lead. The pheasants don't seem to detect any difference, and fall just as dead.

Some people have opined that #7625 doesn't perform in real cold weather. Living in Missouri, our winters are milder than Montana or Minnesota. Thus far I haven't encountered a sub-zero hunting days that indicated any "powder problem."

The big negative on "NICE Shot" is its cost. At $30 per pound, the reload cost approximates $2.25 for each shell. While expensive, it is a tolerable cost, and probably no worse than $4 gasoline, $100 out-of-state hunting licenses, and $60 motel rooms.

If you favor older SxS's, you may find these lower-pressure loads meet your needs.

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

Sidelock
Sidelock

I load, when I load, PB with an ounce of shot...When I am forced to use "non tox" an oxymoron, cuz everything I shoot with it dies, I buy same from RST..Dont shoot that much of it to bother loading....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,

I'm not sure what the listed pressure is for your 1 oz lead reload, but I believe I read; although the load recipes for lead and nice shot are interchangeable, nice shot does produce a bit higher pressure.

If you go to the Nice shot website, If memory serves, it mentions this on the forum section.

You may already know this, if not, an FYI.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar, how have you found the RST non-tox loads? I shoot low pressure RST shells in an older British SxS but I have not tried the RST non-tox shells yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been loading Hodgdon Clays in the 17 gr area for 1 oz of shot in a Fed Paper with a Fed wad. I get about 1150 fps and 7000 ish measured psi. They work in the cold very nicely.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.