May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (azgreg, Themauserkid), 228 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
USHOOT2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am in the process of restocking a Beretta ASEL 20.The gun will be used for its intended purpose. I originally thought that I would put exibition wood on it,but after a little research I have concluded that may not be the route to take from a strength perspective. What qualities do you look for in a blank to get the wow factor while also being strong enough not to crack under heavy use ? I figure if I am going to spend the money to do this ,might as well get the most bang for the buck.The gun weighs in @ 5# 14oz. The new stock will be an English grip.
Thanks for any insight that you can offer.

The best hunting is between now and dark.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can have both......just be patient. This stick is perfectly quarter sawn in the wrist.

Last edited by SKB; 11/05/11 08:06 AM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

USHOOT:
Your best bet is to address your needs to a GOOD wood man. If he's worth his salt, all his blanks will be properly cut. While no one can guarantee what wood strength will be, that's your best bet. If I were you, I'd contact Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas. Google him and his web site. He can meet any need you have. In spades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
USHOOT:
Your best bet is to address your needs to a GOOD wood man. If he's worth his salt, all his blanks will be properly cut. While no one can guarantee what wood strength will be, that's your best bet. If I were you, I'd contact Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas. Google him and his web site. He can meet any need you have. In spades.

I second this. Have been to his place and bought from him. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd strongly consider involving the stockmaker in the process, and best if the stockmaker supplies the wood for many reasons. Lots can go wrong w/ a blank once it's whittled down, and you have an assurance w/ stockmaker provided wood.

I certainly "third" the motion above that you should put yourself into the hands of a good wood man if the stockmaker doesn't supply the wood.

On your concerns about the really wild wood being more fragile, it's really all about layout and grain flow. Your instincts are correct - you must be very careful about the grip section.

USHOOT2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stockmaker is going to supply several to choose from. He suggested that I do some looking on my own, and if I find something that we both agree upon proceed from there. Ultimately I am sure that I will probably pick out the most expensive blank available in the free world. After doing so I sure would hate for it to fall apart on the first shot.

The best hunting is between now and dark.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ushoot,
I agree with your approach. No sense in getting a mediocre blank when paying a lot to restock a gun. I don't see a problem with using an exhibition blank as long as the grain in the wrist is proper. Go for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One can get "too good" of a blank, so the wood does not fit the gun esthetically. I saw a nice Boss sxs a few years ago at Tulsa and the restock wood was just too fancy . It didn't have any harmony with the Boss.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Edited, server problems.

Last edited by Altamaha; 11/06/11 08:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's an interesting point. The Purdey I'm doing almost certainly could have had a plain-ish bit of wood on it. But for me I wanted something a little nicer. I get the "in fitting" point but all this comes down to art for me and I like nicely figured wood for old guns...

T

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.