April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Birdog, old colonel, Jem Finch, 2 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dougk Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Every German drilling I have obtained has full and IMP/Extra Full chokes. These guns are from the 1920, 1930's, 1960's and 1980's.

Can some one shed light as to why? I like carrying a slug with me for back up when hog hunting. I would not use a slug with a full choke.

thanks

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because drillings should be capable of taking fox, hare and such at longer distances.

I don't see why a brenneke slug should not be used in full choke - if target test shows useful accuracy.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe Jani is correct and if I recall correctly, Axel E. & Mike Ford have similar opinions but I'd like to hear them again.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before the Nazis took over- the German and Austrian gun makers, whether building schrottenflinten, bockflinten or drillings- tending to bore the shotgun barrels to the tighter standards prevalent in the European gun making community. One good example of this, albiet with a segue to the "Belgies" are the 12 gauge Belgian mfg. Brownings- both A-5 and Over/Under- where they used a dot-dash and asterik marking to denote full choke, modified, imp. cyl.

American gun makers at that time used a NBD of aprox. .7290" for a 12 bore- no matter the chamber length- European makers tended towards a NBD of .7250"-- and whereas Winchester and Remington used a 0.030" constriction (on a 12 ft. radius/ogive curve) for their full chokes- European makers used anywhere from 0.0335 to 0.040 constriction.

Some of this has changed in post WW2 mfg.'d shotguns- but always not too much- I have a Browning light 12 A-5 made in 1961 in Belgium- 28" VR barrel mod. choke- (by their handbook that came with it) and it patterns AA trap loads as tightly at 40 yards as my M12 Pigeon Grade Trap gun full choke mfg 1948!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

After reading this thread I measured my Eckoldt 12 Ga drilling. The bores are .730 even; the chokes are, surprisingly, .035 in the right brl. and .050 in the left one. I have never shot a brennecke slug throu them and I would hesitate to do so with such constriction. Soon I will make a thread describing this gun.

Regards,

EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montenegrin is right. The tight choke in drillings was common to nearly all German shotguns up to the 1960s. The main purpose of shot barrels in Germany then was shooting hare, sort of a large rabbit living in open fields. This is also the reason why most German shotguns and Drillings are stocked rifle-like, designed for shooting mostly downhill. Shotguns were rated by tight patterns giving range, the tighter the pattern, the better. And, remember, this was still the time of paper cases and felt wads, modern loads with plastic shot cups need much less constriction for tight patterns. As formal shooting at driven feathered game was almost unknown to most German hunters, the advantages of an open-bored "game gun" or "upland gun" was not seen then.
BTW, original Brenneke slugs were designed to be shot through these tight choke bores. Brenneke's older advertising even claimed best shooting through full-choke bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montenegrin is right. The tight choke in drillings was common to nearly all German shotguns up to the 1960s. The main purpose of shot barrels in Germany then was shooting hare, sort of a large rabbit living in open fields. This is also the reason why most German shotguns and Drillings are stocked rifle-like, designed for shooting mostly downhill. Shotguns were rated by tight patterns giving range, the tighter the pattern, the better. And, remember, this was still the time of paper cases and felt wads, modern loads with plastic shot cups need much less constriction for tight patterns. As formal shooting at driven feathered game was almost unknown to most German hunters, the advantages of an open-bored "game gun" or "upland gun" was not seen then.
BTW, original Brenneke slugs were designed to be shot through these tight choke bores. Brenneke's older advertising even claimed best shooting through full-choke bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not familiar with the term "Improved Full", what does that mean in inches? When I think Full I reference a measurement of .035" to .045". Is there a more technical description you are alluding to by your question?

dougk Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In an article from Briley on chokes they talk about full at .035 and extra full being .040, I use the term improved full for the .040

Briley Article on chokes

Doug

Boxlock
Boxlock

The German shot barrels were always choked tighter than American shot barrels! My favorite firearms are the German made Cape guns with a rifle barrel on one side and a shot barrel on the other! These rifles Ive been told were made for the settlers on the cape of South Africa. The original reason for the super tight chokes on German made shotgun barrels has already been answered here, in addition to the hares, and foxes black forest wolves, and large swans were targets that required longer range and tighter chokes as well. In the Cape guns the rifle barrels were usually at least 8X57JR shooting 196 gr softs and solids @ 2450 fps for the larger game in Africa, and the reason for the FULL, and MOD FULL being that the Breneke slug worked best in the full, while long range shot worked best in the Mod Full which is tighter!

One of my Cape guns is a H. Barella, S/S cape gun with a 16 ga shot barrel on the left, and a 8X57JR rifle barrel on the right. The shot barrel was choked Mod Full and with modern shot cup shells was way too tight for slugs, and you had to wait for a Blue Quail get out to about 45 yards before easy hits could be made! I had my smith open the shot choke to and American modified choke. The shot barrel then was a real upland barrel, and was deadly on Doves and Quail, while the rifle barrel placed the 196 gr rifle bullet right on the sights at 100 yes, the shot barrel would place a Brenneke slug right beside the rifle also at 100 yds, while printing a very dense 30 pattern of No7 dove loads, or No6 duck shot perfectly out to 35 yds. This little side lock hammer cape gun has made some well-placed shots on Mule Deer, whitetail, Elk, out to 250 yds and black bear over bait with both rifle and Breneke slugs. Wild hog dont have a chance with this little cape gun in my hands!

MacD37 >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Cape Buffalo, and Double Rifles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.