April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Lloyd3, AaronN, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 475 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

nca225 if you are going roll your own spreader loads try different wads and velocities to adjust your pattern. My Fox and Lefever 16 gauge guns really respond well to Spread-R discs loaded in Cheddite hulls with Cheddite wads at 1170 - 1220 fps with 1 ounce of shot. IC opens to cylinder, Modified opens to IC and Full opens to light modified. Of course your results may differ. To get more spread remove the petals from the one piece wads. I have also tried to substitute Nitro Cards and fiber cushion wads for the plastic one piece wad but I have gotten some pretty patchy patterns beyond about 20 yards even from Full Choke guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They were Polywad Doublewide spreaders. I should add that Polywad replaced the case very promptly and let me keep the remainder of the first case to shoot through tighter chokes. I load my own spreaders now, using their inserts, but always add a bit of shot on top.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot an Improved Cyl(.012) in Sporting Clays and use a Fiocchi spreader for some of the close ones. It at least doubles my patterns and breaks clays well out to 20 yds .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not tried to clip the petals on my PC Post wads with enhanced post, but assume it would further open the pattern. If I can find some post wads, I will give it a test.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on the spreader shell you choose, as well as the individual gun in question. Using a Polywad factory spreader load, I got very good results through the tight IC barrel (likely close to your skeet II or LM) of an Ithaca Classic Doubles 20ga. Eventually decided to have all the choke taken out of the R barrel of a Sauer 20ga. The spreader pattern through the ICD's IC choke was not quite as open as true cylinder, but pretty close. For me, because I live in grouse and woodcock country and have the opportunity to hunt them quite frequently, it just made more sense to modify a gun so I could shoot regular loads through it, saving the trouble of reloading spreaders (or the expense of buying them). Since I had that done, I've also discovered that a cylinder bore throwing 3/4 oz of 8 1/2's at skeet birds also works very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a BPI X-Stream, plastic X insert, in the WS-2 barrel of a 12 ga. M-21.

That's choked .015, and is way too tight for the second shot at skeet.

I load 1 oz of 9's with a 1 1/8 oz wad and just push the X wad in the shot. I've been told to put the wad in first and then add shot over it, but I'm not taking all day to load a box of shells. I use a Grabber.

It works fine. Incomers at 1,2,6 & 7 think it's a skeet choke.

One thing I quit doing is removing the petals on 20ga wads to make spreaders with the X-wad. The barrels leaded so bad, I was afraid of causing a lead obstruction with the sheets of lead the shells left on the barrel walls. No more of that.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on do not remove the petals from plastic wads, as SJ says, the leading is horrible and hard to get out.
On another note I tried to remove plastic build-up with carburetter cleaner and it worked very well indeed.
Just do it outside and wear safety glasses and gloves. That stuff is strong!
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

King's comment about fear of superwide dispersion suggests that maybe no one has used a big enuf bedsheet to really know if there are 10' wide dog-unfriendly "patterns". I've always heard that bore scrub and setback created the worst fliers (erratic shot paths) and I assumed this implied wide dispersion or at least departure from a populated pattern. You can count shot all day for other ends; in this case you prove nothing if you can't get a count total equal to the number of shot in the shell. I've clipped the connections between petals on some other wads but never removed petals. It seems to me that doing so only "opens" patterns by removing shot from the central core, that is, dispersion of the useful non-flier core is nearly the same diameter as that produced by a petaled wad but percentage in useful pattern is lower.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The widest spread I've ever seen came from the disc shot loads that used to be available (from Orvis?) Pretty nice patterns, out to about 20 yards. After that, the pattern pretty much ceased to exist. I didn't have a 10 foot wide pattern sheet, but since most of the pellet strikes weren't on the sheet I did have, I assumed that they had to be somewhere else. On the other hand, given the aerodynamics of disc shot, I'm not sure how much danger they would pose very far out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best plastic wad cleaner I have ever seen is 75% kerosene or the new diesel and 25% acetone. It works wonders for me.

W. E. Boyd
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.