March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nca225 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I figure this might get a "WTF" or two, but here goes. One of my doubles is a 16 Ga choked @ SKII and IM. I'd like to start using it in the Grouse woods, at least for my shooting, that choke configuration would not work for me until late season when they are flushing at a greater distance. If I want to use that double in early season, the chokes would need to be opened...or would they....

What could I expect for a pattern If I used a spreader load? In the IM barrel, I know what to expect, but not for the SKII barrel. Not having tried this before, would the spreader load through the SKII choke just yield a more open pattern then SKII, or would some inefficiencies come into play and mess up the pattern?

Has any one tried a spreader load before through an open choke? what was the result for a pattern?

Thanks,

Last edited by nca225; 10/15/11 01:54 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

My response is pretty un-scientific, but just from personal experience in my own guns, the spreader loads seem to open up the tighter choke patterns a lot more noticeably than they do a more open choke. For what its worth, I have no luck with spreaders if the birds are more than, say, twenty yards out. I rarely use them anymore...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is something IMO that would have to be tested with that gun and different shells to really know. Each gun tends to shoot spreaders different. If nothing else why not load a spreader in the IM and a regular shell in the other. Shoot the IM barrel first and the SKII second.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 12ga choked .007 & .015, at 20 yards I get approx 80% and 90% patterns in a 30" circle with 2 1/2" Spred-R 7 1/2's.

It takes all of 10 minutes to test for yourself at the yardage(s) you feel important.

Let us know what you discover.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years back I had a really odd experience with spreaders through open chokes. I had just purchased a 16 gauge Uggie and a case of spreaders. Since this gun was going to be used on blue grouse at 10000 feet, and I was expecting something on the tight side of improved cylinder and modified for the Uggie, I thought the spreaders might help a bit with high altitude pattern spread. I went to the skeet range and proceeded to shoot the worst round of skeet in my life. Of the few clays I hit, many really disintegrated, and sometimes we heard an odd whistling sound after the shot. A trip to the pattern board showed that the majority of spreaders out of the improved cylinder barrel (later measured closer to skeet) where not opening at all. The pattern board at 25 yards showed something akin to a fuzzy slug: a very sharply defined center hole with a sprinkling of shot around the edges for an inch or two. A call to the manufacturer revealed that they had just started a new wad in that load. The consensus after some tests was that the spreader insert was acting as a cap to the shot and the open choke wasn't disrupting the shot column enough to get things working the right way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I think I know the type of spreader wad you are describing, but maybe you could mention the design and the brand so others may learn. I can see how the "capped" type of spreader device may not always work as planned. I like the post or the post with thickness added for the most repeatable results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Out of a Browning Superlight choked .016 and .024 (.725 barrels) I get pretty much skeet/skeet patterns with PolyWad spreader 1 1/8 oz loads with size 7 1/2 shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've played with spreaders in a couple of 16 ga M-12s. One runs .021, the other .012 (likely not too far from your IM and SK2). Loads made by placing Polywad discs on top of the shot column gave me unuseably open patterns from both guns. I read Mike Campbell's technique (he will not credit himself - if you do a quick search on 16ga.com you will find it well described) of placing the disc on top of 1/8 oz less than a full payload, followed by the remaining 1/8 oz shot placed above the disc. I like a 7/8 oz drop into a SP16 wad followed by the disc, followed by 1/8 oz. I use a 9mm empty ground down to hold 1/8 oz. RGL hulls. Crimps end up just right. This technique results in patterns that, for me, run around 45% with both guns. .012 ought to be pretty close to SK2.

I've tried the X-type cardboard inserts and gotten unuseably open (ie., voids) patterns at just 21 yds.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with eightbore. The Pattern Control Post wad with Tygon "enhancement" on the post really opens up with tight chokes. But less of a compression/springback effect going thru an open choke. Whatever the population of the center and the fringe, it isn't going to turn into a slug.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never tried but wouldn't use spreaders in open chokes because an American friend who hunts woodcock and grouse every year in New Brunswick gave up on them because dispersal so wide he was afraid of hitting his dogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.