May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, PALUNC, Jeremy Pearce, old colonel, 1 invisible), 757 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of us, and I include myself, are infatuated with longish tubes these days. If you are willing to live with 26's, there are some superb deals on the tables that simply won't move among the clays set.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns from before WWI are less expensive by a little in comparable condition. Lewis Drake has a nice 30" gun from that era at less than $20K.

Phillip Futrell at Mid-South Guns in Wagram NC usually has a selection of Purdeys of this type at very reasonable prices, and a fairly rapid turnover as a result.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chaps, these would be hammerless Purdeys!
I did visit Don at Cape - I wouldn't say they were junk, but then he's seen a few more than I.
I think bargin Purdeys came over in the first British invasion - the old boy's bones had not grown cold, before the family sent his gun off to America.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I must have missed Louis Drakes gun. Don did, by the way have some nice Purdey's too. Mid south has some good Purdeys. I wish they took more pics of their guns, Good people though, and I believe they have a lot of Don's old stock.

Also, yes, the cheaper ones will have cut barrels. Which ruins them for me, but makes them good bargains otherwise.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, never really interested in hammerguns - altho I've had a couple of 'em.
Thim damn ol' hammers would get caught-up in my waistcoat - much worst than moth or cigarette holes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wallis, you spoke of pictures of Mid South's guns. Do they have a website? I know they did at one time, but they certainly don't advertise it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think if you want to own a good vintage Purdey you have to pay the price. $25k to $35k is a far cry from the cost of a new one which is what, $140k? If you can bring a nice one home for $30k or so, you bought it for pennies on the dollar.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful Purdey, also nice website. I look to do something like that myself soon (three kids, a wife, and a job keep getting in the way..). I do a little gun dealing on the side, having gotten my FFL this year, after many years of having a C&R. I havent gotten the double rifle bug yet, but if I did, it would be a H&H .375. I cant imagine a more desirable double rifle. I love my Parkers and LC Smiths but there is no denying the absolute beauty of a London Best. And the really cool thing is you can still call them up and deal with the manufacturer or, even better, go for a visit. They really do treat you well, even if you are a second hand gun buyer from Bugtussel Flats Tennessee like me.

The website for midsouth guns is http://www.midsouthguns.org I believe. They have no pictures to speak of, except for a couple. I asked them and they said that they sell them so quick they dont have time to take a picture! That and poor light in the warehouse for picture taking (I'd be happy to help them out with picture taking ideas--it aint that hard).

They will, however, give a very good description. Its kind of old school, like the good ole days of gunlist. If you ask the right questions you can get a deal.

Last edited by wallis vernon; 01/25/07 01:08 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mother needs an operation, or a somewhat used Purdey?
Thats a tough one.
Even tougher if your on a fix-o-dent income.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.