May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, eeb), 373 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,421
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
max Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need a trigger plate screw for my W C Scott 1870's vintage hammer gun in order to complete my "shade tree" restoration. I know most of you guys are not going to like this, but it started out as a 10 gage with 30 inch barrels. It is now a W C Scott coach gun with 20 inch barrels. When I got it, it was missing the top rib and trigger guard. I took the advice of one of the board members and hammered out a trigger guard that was originally for an L C Smith. Kinda made it fit. As for the top rib,I went to a machinist and got a piece of metal that I am satisfied with. My intent is to fix this thing for "display only". I tried a model 21 trigger plate screw and it was a little big. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can come up with anything close (trigger guard) I will greatly appreciate the information.

BTW, I only have 150 bucks in this gun and having a correct restoration has never been my intent.

Best regards,

Max

max Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry, error, I need a trigger plate screw. Not a trigger guard.

Max

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're in Tennessee? Have you met HoMeLessJoe? Take the gun to him and have him take a look at it, he absolutely loves W&C Scott guns.

Have your machinist friend make you a new screw...more than likely he wont have the cutters to match the original thread size, just have him make a screw with standard threads close to the original pattern and re-tap the threads in the action. Just has to work...doesnt have to be perfect right? If you were to have a screw made, fitted and finished that look as if it came with the gun from the factory...its going to cost you more than you paid for the gun.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have no luck with a local machinist, drop a note and I'll see if I can help. Do you have calipers for accurate measurements? Can you drill out the origional action screw hole (if necessary) and retap it to the new thread size and pitch?

Last edited by Rocketman; 09/21/11 03:27 PM.
max Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman, that is a no and no. I do appreciate the offer. I will attempt to email a picture to you this p.m.

Regards,

Max

Sidelock
Sidelock

max, I'd need the inside diameter of the existing screw hole so we can size a standard size bolt. It is no trick to retap existing threads to a slightly smaller size (provided the strength of the new threads is not critical as in your hanger case). The diameter and depth of the screw head hole is needed, too. Do you know anyone with a caliper or a fairly complete set of drills? Drills are accurately made and can be used as gauges.

max Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman, I will find someone. Your assistance is appreciated more than you know! Also, I am not computer literate. This weekend I will get my hands on a digital camera and shoot some pictures if someone will allow me to email the photos so they may be posted. The "peanut gallery" should have a good time with this gun.

Regards,

Max

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotts like many others used some obscure threads . British Cycle threads, American sewing machine threads .metric threads ,the list goes on. It will be far simpler for you to do what I and most of the other gunsmiths I know and simply tap out the hole to the nearest modernd size .We use B A I think the US has a similar range , then make a new screw or I should say pin to fit. I'm afraid the chances of finding a pin that will fit is vertualy impossible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, most gunsmiths will tap to metric if they need to.

I've just bought a small imperial lathe and would be happy to make you another but it's a bit hard doing it blind I would suggest. Unless you have the old one.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

gunman, do you know if there is a "typical" thread for Scott trigger guards? Is it the 9/32-26 cycle thread that Parker-Hale uses on cleaning rods? Do you have a "typical" metric thread you tap? I can cut virtually any US or BA plus I have some metric taps and dies in the 9/32 to 5/16 range. Ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.