April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jem Finch, fab500, Jtplumb, Jerry G, SKB, Hammergun), 412 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#21505 01/21/07 09:15 PM
OP Offline

Does sealing the stock with urethane or similar prevent further corrosion?

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only sure fix is the fireplace.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill is right, burn stock, install new one after repair/replace corroded parts.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whose idea was it to speed curing by soaking in salt, did he have any legitimate precedents that justified this approach, and do you suppose he lost his job for thinking up what was undoubtedly one of Browning's biggest and most costly mistakes ever? TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Curing "process" was purchased from or procured by consultation with Morton Salt according to Ned Schwing. Alumina-filled roof paint is said to retard damage; jury of one not in yet.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I seem to recall that this curing process was instigated by an American University????
Probably as a result of what we are experiencing now at work, a young whipper snapper with a fresh degree, no practical experience, full of enthusiasm, rash ideas, and his Dad owns the company.We live and learn, but the old salts have been there, seen it, done it, and are still wearing the old tee-shirt to work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not only was there a problem with the Superposed, but for a while they tried to cure furniture wood with this method. Years later fine furniture started falling apart because the screws rusted so badly...... I agree with the process of getting rid of the wood all together. Or better yet, do what a lot of people do..... check the serial number before you buy the gun, and anything close- avoid it like the plague. Even if you spend the money to replace the wood, you will have a hard time selling it because people won't want it- either because the wood is bad or the wood has been changed and they will wonder what the inside of the gun looks like. They aren't worth fooling with. The Superposed is a pretty hot item right now at the gun shows. I sold two within 20 minutes of walking into the building. And the plain 20 gauge is nearing $3000.00 in nice shape. So if there is ever a chance of wanting to get rid of it, avoid the salt guns. JMO. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All I know is what I read in Schwing, to paraphrase a Will Rogers quote. According to Schwing, the salt drying process was sold to Browning by Morton Salt Company in 1965 and had been in use by furniture manufacturers for many years with good results. Think about it; the salt never caused the stock finish to lift. I guess the problems with rusted screws in furniture was only with steel screws; brass or stainless would have been unaffected. The process involved heaping salt over 5x5x8 foot stacks of blanks. The blanks at the top were dried, but the moisture that was pulled out apparently created a brine solution that ran down and soaked the lower blanks. So not all wood of the era had the problem.

As for sealing a salt stock, forget it. Replace it and use the old wood for firewood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend of mine who is an avid well know Browning collector uses this quote.

"I've never been burned by a salt gun,Because I've never bought one"

This friend has owned hundreds of brownings and avoids salt-era gun's. Even if they seem ok after inspecting and testing them you can still have problems down the road. When you do try and sell them it's very difficult and not worth the hassle.

Browning for a while was replacing salt wood with new wood under warranty and if you have record of this it helps sell them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would have to take a deep breath before tossing a set of salt laden Midas or Diana Grade Super wood into the inferno......nope I couldn't.

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.