April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 607 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,259
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are there any tricks of the trade for removing then attaching the receiver from & to the buttstock of a Holland & Holland style sidelock similar to the LC Smith?
I have recently purchased a Belgium Holland & Holland style sidelock with a cracked stock. It is cracked at the back of both sidelocks and again at the base of the top tang. It is likely the cracks came as the result of stock bending and or use of heavy loads as it came with 70mm chambers so I believe it is likely a previous owner used some heavy field loads in it.
I am considering whether I should send it out to a stock repair expert or play with it and attempt to repair it myself as I have little money in it.
I have read the descriptions on LC Smith assembly and disassembly courtesy of the LC Smith Association, but I don't believe the H&H top lever has the same challenges on reassembly. This gun has the Purdey double under bites with the hidden third fastener.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Russ used to say watch out for the JABC, major quality verations in Belgium, from junk to the best. Hope you have a better one but make sure before you spend much money.

bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is meant by "JABC"?

The gun in question is a good quality Jules Bury manufactured gun sold by Louis Christophe. It is a 12ga which I brought because I already owned its twin in 16ga with near identical engraving style signed by the same engraver. It may have other issues than the cracked stock, but I am just getting into it now so I will see.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

not as difficult as a LC, loosen the pin under the floor plate, then loosen the hand pin, then remove the breech pin (the large pin under the toplever) now go back and remove the other two previously loosened pins. Now do NOT force the action off the stock but gentley tap it until loose enough to pull away

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just Another Belgian Clunker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colonel:
If you care about the gun and intend to keep it, please send it to someone who is expert in stock repair. They will do the job right. Stock Fixers is one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lee, Jules Bury made some great stuff, if it was made by BuryI bet its lovely.Do some searches for this maker & n see..not jabc atall atall..grand guns mate
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Greenwood in Augusta, Kansas is a first rate stock maker. I've seen his work a lot. He repaired a cracked through the wrist Parker Repro for a fiend of mine and the repair is invisible. I don't know where in Kansas you are located, but it can't be more than five or six hours even if you were in the far Northwest corner. Call first.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.