May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Wild Skies, Silvers, buckstix, cpa, 2 invisible), 1,097 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,621
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a nice old 12 ga hammer gun with damascus barrels. I bought an similar gun that is not so nice for parts. Now I have a pile of parts left! I was thinking that I could use the breech from the parts gun to build a set of steel barrels via sleeving. No loss, the part gun's barrels are rough, inside and out. I know that it can be done, what I don't know is if the barrels would be OK for the low pressure smokeless loads that I intend to use in it. How well would the twist monoblock take rust bluing that would be correct for the barrels? Woould it be a two tone? The original barrels are in very nice shape. I would like to keep them that way by using the sleeved ones.

Thanks,

Chief

Last edited by ChiefAmungum; 08/15/11 10:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

chief: it has been done. i have seen fluid steel tubes sleeved to parker damascus breeches. when blued it all looks the same color with no hint of damascus pattern showing through. this gun is regularly used for skeet shooting and bird huntin, so it takes the pressure of field loads just fine...however, you are looking at a cost of probably $2000 by the time you have your new barrels fit to your receiver and forend...is it worth it?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, considering that ruination of the original barrels would result in another parts gun for me, yes.

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

chief: i do not understand your reply. the sleeving and fitting of your extra set of barrels has no affect on your other set of barrels. in the end you would have two sets of barrels that fit the same forend and receiver. one set of barrels would have the original damascus tubes and the other set would have new fluid steel tubes sleeved into damascus breeches. if you wish to discuss this, email your phone number via pm and i will call you.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think his point was, if he can use the parts gun breech for sleeved barrels, then he can shoot to his hearts content using that set of barrels on the good gun action, setting the good gun's damascus barrels aside and not using them at all. OTOH, if he has to use the good gun's damascus barrels to shoot, then he's likely to either use them to ruination or have them fail at a most inconvenient moment, turning the good gun into a second parts gun.

But, if he can afford sleeving the pats gun barrel set. he probably should go ahead and do it. He seems pretty set on using this gun for (a lot of) shooting.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

No problems at all ,having said that you can get a slight difference in the color of the black between the new and old . It can depend on who blacks them and what they use as there are many different variations on the blacking solutions and applications .Have done a lot over the years with no problems.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,

Exactly!

Gunman,

Thanks!

Ed,

Thanks for your input and your offer. I already have someone in mind for the work.

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief, I have an old friend that has sleeved many a double shotgun in his shop over the past 40 years using the Damascus monoblock, usually drops down a gauge to make sure that there is enough meat on the monoblock to make the seam easier to finish.

I picked up a book last year "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Frames",by W. Ellis Brown. Makes interesting reading, if you are inteested in the techniques used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to seem picky but you folks do realize I suppose the definitaion of a MonoBlock is not a short section of bbls, But a breech piece for bbls machined from "ONE" solid piece of steel. Cutting the bbls off does NOT convert the breech section to a monoblock, just bbl stubs.
Either can have tubes inserted to complete a bbl set, but if the stub has joints in it it Ain't No Monoblock.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK Miller, consider that hair split! I do understand what you are saying though. Let's say I would be using the breeches as one would use a monoblock!

Jerry, I will look for that book. Is it still in print?

Chief

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.