April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Stanton Hillis, Sun Dog), 1,053 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob's million dollar starting price did get this discussion going, and that means exposure for his gun. Someone may see it because of this thread, and offer him a reasonable price. Sounds like good marketing.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm wondering if that ad in GB is a spoof and put in by someone who doesn't own the gun. Could be wrong, but wasn't that gun for sale on 2XGunshop a while back?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
I'm wondering if that ad in GB is a spoof and put in by someone who doesn't own the gun. Could be wrong, but wasn't that gun for sale on 2XGunshop a while back?

It's from a previous BBS sale site listing.....which got into the direction (mostly down) of current market pricing, conversations getting a little heated at times.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229972#Post229972

Last edited by Model2128Ga; 07/23/11 12:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a lister on auctionarms who starts every gun at a penny with no reserve and sells every gun he puts on there. Some of his guns are really nice collector guns. Hundreds of buyers check his ads every week for new items. Most of us know who he is and wish some of the other sellers would take a hint from him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would that be the guy who calls himself "Jack the dog"? B/c he has a couple nice sxs guns up there now - that M21 Duck has started a bidding war....

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
There is a lister on auctionarms who starts every gun at a penny with no reserve and sells every gun he puts on there. Some of his guns are really nice collector guns. Hundreds of buyers check his ads every week for new items. Most of us know who he is and wish some of the other sellers would take a hint from him.

There are a couple AuctionArms sellers who do just that, but they are mostly into consignment gun sales, whereas they don't have to invest a nickel in the guns. They sell guns shipped to them at consignee's (original owner's) expense and enjoy a 15% consignment fee profit (minus a small auction fee) no matter what it sells for. Unfortunately, dealers who have to buy everything that they sell, have a "cost" they must deal with.
Imagine how well a car dealer could do under the same consignment conditions!!

SxS

Last edited by SxS Only; 07/23/11 01:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Normally, I only look at the guns on Gunbroker that draw bids. I have bought a couple of guns that were listed otherwise and I think I got them at a bargain simply because serious buyers ignore the prepriced or reserve priced guns.

If I sell on GB, I start a .01 with no reserve and almost always feel the gun brought what it was worth. I always put a counter on the ad and rarely list a gun that doesn't get 1,000 looks. If a gun gets 1,000 looks and sells for less that I thought it should, it tells me I thought it waa worth more than it really was.

Simple

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick Jones. you win the contest. You have uncovered the mystery of internet gun selling. You are absolutely right. If 1000 people look at your junk and no one bids, then your junk is truly junk. Of course, guys like Jackthedog have found a way to get 1000 people to look at his junk. Lucky for us, much of what Jackthedog lists is not junk.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SxS, I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that our Auctionarms guy is making too much on his transactions? If he makes a certain percentage on his sales, it is well earned because he gets people to LOOK at his offerings, hundreds of people. He has earned his audience and his consignors should be happy, even if they are disappointed with the bottom line. If they don't get the buck, it is because they are trying to sell things that just don't sell. I would consign with this guy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
SxS, I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that our Auctionarms guy is making too much on his transactions? If he makes a certain percentage on his sales, it is well earned because he gets people to LOOK at his offerings, hundreds of people. He has earned his audience and his consignors should be happy, even if they are disappointed with the bottom line. If they don't get the buck, it is because they are trying to sell things that just don't sell. I would consign with this guy.

I'll try to explain it so anyone can understand. Say, as a dealer, I buy a shotgun at a gun show for $800. I take it to my gun shop and list on Gunbroker with a $1000 reserve. If I sell it at a $1000, I will make about $150 profit after gas,gun show entrance fees,time and auction fees. If it doesn't sell in six months I lower the price to $700 and finally sell it, but lose about $150.
Now the consignment seller "pays nothing" for the same gun and puts it on Auction Arms with a .01 starting bid and the same gun sells for $700. He makes 15% gross profit or $105. After auction fees he pockets about $80 or $90. The consignment seller will always make a profit!
If you decide to send the consignment seller one of your classic doubles that you bought 6 years ago for $3000 and he sells it on today's market for $2500. You lose $500 in market value and the dealer's 15% commission (total loss of $875) and a dearly missed shotgun. You will net $2125 for your consigned shotgun. The consignment dealer makes $375 gross profit on your loss on a gun which he had in his possession for two weeks or so and doesn't care a thing about it. You surely can understand the difference!

SxS

Last edited by SxS Only; 07/24/11 08:57 AM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.