May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (FelixD, canvasback, SKB, graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 282 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,752
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Geno Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Made in 1951 and only one sample been made. Serial number 001. The length of case is very interesting - 80 mm (neither 76 mm (3") nor 89 mm (3 1/2")). One more interesting thing is proof marks absence and probably it could be explained by no such standard caliber as 8G-80mm at the time and still today laugh Factory new condition, barrel length 99 cm (39"), weight 5 Kg (11 pounds).
BTW its for sale and for about $5 grand. If somebody is crazy about big bore guns, I can give seller contact info wink

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure they didn't accidentally add a zero ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting.
It doesn't look right, though. It looks like the stock was refinished recently, with linseed oil treatment they didn't usу back then, and the way the finish comes off the action makes me feel the action was painted black, not browned (that's a pretty common method of DIY "restoration" in here). Also, I don't expect to see proof marks on "experimental" guns, regardless of the gauge, but a TOZ "T in circle inside a triangle" stamp absolutely ought to be there somewhere.
Yet, if the seller is patient enough, it will sell at this price, I believe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno, the 3 1/4" chambered eight bore is probable the most common length for 8's here in Britain and that would equate to 80mm. Is there much use of 8 bores for wildfowl in Russia and can you get the ammo? There are a couple of custom ammunition makers here in Britain who will supply it but most 8 bore owners make it themselves for Industrial cases as I do. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll answer that, in absence of Geno.

There isn't a tradition of using big bored shotguns or punt guns in Russia. You can often hear or read a story involving young hunters that couldn't hit a duck, a Grandpa with an oversized muzzleloader, stuffed with handfuls of powder and shot, shooting at a flock of sitting ducks and killing them all, followed by a very overeggagerated description of recoil - but it has every quality of a myth. The truth is, a market hunter in the old days could never afford the loads for a 8 or 4-bore, and the gentleman sportsmen genreally viewed ducks and geese as low-class, and even when they did, they preferred something else. One of the Romanovs liked waterfowling enough to write a book about it, and he used a matched pair of 12 ga London Best, with loaders.

On the other hand, there are no legal objections to using big bores. The opportunity is there, mostly for waterfowl (like anywhere else). The kind of duck hunting I do, for example, doesn't involve long walks or standing with gun in hand, so there's no reason why I couldn't use an 8-bore handy later in the season, when the birds often come in big flocks. A big bore should shine on pass-shooting geese in spring. You could also shoot a boar with one, if you had the fancy.

There's a moderate interest - most waterfowlers will tell you they wouldn't mind trying a big-bore. Yet, it will take a really rare enthusiast to actually do that. I used to know a chap that had an old big-bore double (I can't remember the gauge now, I think it was an 8 but it migtht have been 10), and he always talked about loading the brass that came with the gun and shooting it, but never did. In the 90's, someone tried to import Zabala Hermanos 10 ga.'s - but no longer does, so that should tell you something too.

Loaded 8-gauge ammo is not available, and, to my knowledge, we don't have the industrial 8-gauge. Importing live ammo of this gauge, I believe, will involve a prohibitive amount of red tape. Bringing in reloading components such as empty hulls, wads, and loading dies, shouldn't be a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, thats pretty cool.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Humpty. I was a bit curious about the use of big bores in Russia when I saw the picture. Good fun to use but mine only gets dragged out for goose shooting in Scotland where lead shot can still be used; and of course the occasional clay shoot to give it an airing. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Thanks Humpty. I was a bit curious about the use of big bores in Russia when I saw the picture. Good fun to use but mine only gets dragged out for goose shooting in Scotland where lead shot can still be used; and of course the occasional clay shoot to give it an airing. Lagopus.....

You're welcome smile

So, in Scotland there's no ban on lead shot for waterfowl? Interesting!
That means, if someone really wanted to know if lead shot was indeed so lethal for waterfowl, the good old island makes a perfect place to run a 100% solid, objective and verifyable study on the matter.
Sorry about the OT.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Scotland lead is only banned for ducks and geese over wetlands so inland flighting it is o.k. to use lead. In England and Wales the ban is only on ducks and geese. I don't think lead is as serious a contaminent as it is made out. I live in an area where lead is found in its natural state and has been mined here since pre Roman times. I look at clay grounds where tons of the stuff is in the ground and there is no evidence of dying birds and animals. The same in front of grouse shooting butts where lead must lie in a narrow expanse in front and behind but again there are no dying birds. It is now believed that tungsten shot is poisonous. It's all a ploy to restrict shooting. Nearly as much rubbish as so called global warming. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do Geno or Humpty have any knowledge of the Russian made 4 bore pump gun we see mentioned and pictured occasionally? What is this gun used for and where does the ammo come from? My last box of Eley 4 gauge ammo cost me $500 plus shipping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.